Gardenia Bloom photo

dpolson37(7a VA)February 16, 2008

The gardenia gods as well as the GardenWeb gurus have been kind to me. I am proud to announce that my Home Depot Gardenia is in bloom. It is only one bloom, but I'll take it considering all the other postings I've read. It's even surviving the transplant to a larger pot. I think it's actually happier now that it's out of the 4 inch plastic pot. I've been top watering as well as bottom watering and I followed another posts advice to put jean material up into the pot and have it soak up water from the tray. So far so good, but I'm not saying that to loud LOL.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snasxs(7-8 VA)

That is a beautiful veitchii! Where is it located in your house? I love the sweet and elegant fragrance. Please post more pictures - full shots, larger resolution, different angles, etc.

Bookmark   February 16, 2008 at 10:45PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Beautiful flower!! Great job, you are obviously doing the right thing for your plant.

My Home Depot plants(2) may have some buds, I think? Bought it two months ago, no blooms at all, but now maybe? Its too small to tell for sure. I'll post when I know for sure...

Bookmark   February 17, 2008 at 4:00PM
dpolson37(7a VA)

Veitchii it is and boy do I love the smell. Here are some other photos taken today. Not sure if the bloom is on it's way out as it's turning dark cream colored. I almost set it outside to soak up some 72 degree weather, but decided to leave it in the southern facing window.

Bookmark   February 18, 2008 at 3:23PM
snasxs(7-8 VA)

Beep beep! Gardenia yellow, no, red alarm.

New pot is a little too large. This is very difficult to water (unless you use a lot of treebark chunks). They prefer the right-sized pot so the root can breathe. I hope you see what I mean.

Bookmark   February 18, 2008 at 4:39PM
mersiepoo(6)

Yeah, I was the one who suggested doing the jeans/wicking material. I'm glad yours is looking so NICE!! :D Thanks for sharing!

My gardenia heard me bragging to my mom about all the buds on mine, then it got 'mad' and started having leaves turn yellow and the buds are turning yellow and dropping off! So..make sure your gardenia doesn't know you are talking about her, ha ha!! Congrats!! Thanks for the pictures!!! :)

Bookmark   February 18, 2008 at 10:03PM
flowergurl107

I'm not quite sure if this is the same. Here is my gardenia I also bought from Home Dept. Its also my first bloom. I hope I get more.

starting to bloom

full bloom

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 11:12PM
mersiepoo(6)

Beautiful!!!! :)

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 1:20PM
littlem_2007

congratulations: your plants look so healthy and the blooms are beautiful.
sue

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 7:00PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Congrats on your beautiful flower!! Great Job...

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 6:23PM
More Discussions
Help badly timed pruning.
Help! The Neighbour has SEVERLY 'pruned' a jasmine...
logo
Chimonanthus Praecox Wintersweet in Zone 6?
The Chinese Winterswwet (Chimonanthus Praecox) is listed...
redsun9
' daphne odora'. Are they hard to keep alive as many say?
If they are not for you, especially in my climate zone...
meyermike_1micha
Fragrant book reviews!
I was all in love with my latest fragrant book that...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Jasminum Sambac Grand Duke supreme
I have found Jasminum Sambac Grand Duke Supreme plants...
bunti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™