Figs in Northern California

melikeeatplantsDecember 21, 2010

I'm purchasing a home and would like to put a fig tree into the yard. If you could pick just one variety that does well in Nor Call (San Jose/South Bay in particular) what would it be?

I prefer sweeter figs.

I see some have an extended season.

Any good compromise between those two traits?

Any good local or online nurseries for this?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wabikeguy(7 AB)

Black Mission figs were successfully grown by the Spanish missionaries all up and down the coast of California. They do very well in the South Bay Area. Trees can grow quite large. They produce a medium large purple fig and are very sweet. Also, they grow fast. I had figs this summer from trees that were mere cuttings last year at this time.

As far as an extended season....I picked and ate a ripe fig last week (I'm in the low desert). They will produce fruit as long as temps remain warm.

It's a pretty common fig in California, and that would be my recomendation. You should be able to find one at a local nursery, or you can buy one on line.

Best of luck.

Dave

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 8:44PM
melikeeatplants

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking Mission as well but was curious about other varieties.

Is there a site you recommend online?
What is the best way to start a fig tree (bare root or potted plant?)

Thanks

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 1:10PM
wabikeguy(7 AB)

Summer Winds Nursery/Garden Center in San Jose should have them. They're on the Almaden Expressway in San Jose. They order from Dave Wilson Nursery, which has a good reputation.

Either bare root or potted should work out well for you. Check out what they have, their prices (bare root is usually cheaper), and how they look. Most knowledgable nursery folks will help you pick one out if you're not sure.

There are lots of good sites to help you with planting information. Just type "Fig Tree" and do a search.

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 1:56PM
More Discussions
Just checking -- maintaining figs at shrub size
I shouldn't have too much trouble keeping a couple...
Kristin
Should I prune this?
Hi, Northeast LA. Sunset 20, zone 10 I just transplanted...
Matthew Grayson
Celeste Figs - Trees or bushes?
Is there only 1 variety of Celeste Fig, or does it...
pcbaulch
Figs not growing further after fruit set?
I bought three fig trees (Adam, Cape Brown and White...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Seeking Alma and Conadria in North Florida
Hi, desperately seeking Ficus carica 'Alma' and Ficus...
ksosnow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™