growing a fushia

bhiker125July 30, 2012

I have a new fushia. It has one stem. It is not really growing. I have it in the shade. Could this be the reason

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

If you're trying to grow it in all-day shade it is probably not going to be happy.

Morning sun, and shelter from afternoon baking; or lightly dappled is useful. Mid range temperatures - not into the high nineties.

Free-draining soil with a fairly high level of good, well-rotted compost in the soil and used as a moisture-conserving mulch.

Not under evergreens with surface matting roots.

Moist soil that barely dries out - and isn't actually soaking wet.

Some Fuchsias are quite drought resilient - and others show their displeasure quite quickly with smaller leaves, dropping flowers and then dropping leaves.

If you're in a hard-winter zone and you want to keep your Fuchsia you can pot it up for over winter and keep it in a good light, above freezing or barely below (about 1-2 degrees of frost).

If you're in zone 9 it can stay out to become dormant, leaf-free, and perhaps frosted on the tips. It will come back again in spring.

In zone 10 it might slow down for winter but still be producing flowers and new leaves.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 1:13AM
More Discussions
Fuchsia dropping a lot of leaves suddenly
Hello all, I bought a lovely Gartenmeister Fuchsia...
daffodilian
fuchsia - pinto de blue
Is this an upright or a trailing fuchsia
blushofdawn
Insects damaging fuchsia
Hey everyone, So I have a Fuchsia plant that shares...
jasper
Fuchsia excorticata
Can anyoone comment on the hardiness range of this...
hummymummy
New to caring for Hardy Fuchsia plants...
I have recently bought a hardy fuchsia plant. I'm a...
EllisRuby
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™