*sigh* looks like I succeeded in killing mine

paul_(z5 MI)July 19, 2008

Bummer. I purchased a bush fushia this past spring for my folks' place. Kept it out on my balconey until the folks came down for Father's Day. The plant did quite well and I actually had a hummer start showing up every morning and evening even though my apt is on the 3rd floor. After the folks left I felt guilty for giving away the hummer's plant so went and got another one. Potted it up in a bigger pot and gave it some fresh soil. Did well for a bit but a couple of weeks ago it started to decline and now looks like it has totally crashed and burned. I'm sure location was the problem -- my balconey is unshaded and has a southwestern exposure. Since its predecessor had done well, I was hoping it would too.

:(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Hardy fuchsias can take a lot more sun than the tender hanging basket types.

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 4:43PM
paul_(z5 MI)

I'm unsure if this was one of the hardy types or not. It was not a hanging basket fuchsia. It was a 'Gartenmeister'

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 9:02PM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Gartenmeister is one you often see in tubs and planters, these fuchsias with the long tubes love heat and I have seen them in plantings in full sun but they have to be introduced to full sun gradually. Another thing that might have happened, if you have it in a pot the roots could have cooked especially if the soil was quite moist. If so it would be a good idea to double pot fuchsias in these situations, in other words have a layer of dry material in between the two pots, shavings would do to keep the rootball cooler.
A......

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 1:29PM
paul_(z5 MI)

Aftermidnight,

It was indeed in a pot -- no other option as I live in a 3rd floor apt.

The intro to full sun went fine.

I was thinking along those same lines as you -- that the roots may have gotten too hot. However I would have thought that keeping the soil drier would have been worse than moister soil as there would have been less evaporation to aid in cooling. (The alyssum in the pot, btw, is having a field day)

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 4:39PM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

When we have a hot spell up here I try to keep my Fuchsias a little on the dry side for this reason, also it helps to keep them in white rather then dark colored pots, they don't soak up the heat as much. Being yours are on a balcony I would definitely try double potting.

A......

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 4:50PM
More Discussions
Fuchsia dropping a lot of leaves suddenly
Hello all, I bought a lovely Gartenmeister Fuchsia...
daffodilian
Please help id
Hoping someone can help me id my fuchsia. Thanks everyone......
plumejunkie
Dark Eyes versus Dollar Princess
I have an unknown fuchsia cutting that recently had...
dennis253
fuchsia gall mites - problem solved
I hope I'm neither redundant with this information...
jim_wood
first year fuchsia cuttings
I just bought from Jeffs garden center, who is having...
Debgon
Sponsored Products
La Mesa 1-lt Outdoor Hanging Pendant
LBC Lighting
Titan Lighting Lamps 1-Light 12 in. Set of 4 Library Lamps 684-32798
Home Depot
Bath Authority DreamLine Visions Frameless Sliding Shower Door, Single Threshold
Modern Bathroom
Flos | Hide S Wall Light
$365.00 | YLighting
Missoni Home | Jazz Blue Bath and Hand Towel 5 Piece Set
YLiving.com
Taylor Brushed Nickel 5.5-Inch Three Light Directional Spotlight Glass
$71.33 | Bellacor
Velvet 1-piece Sofa Cover with Front Bowties
Overstock.com
Rural Green - Satin Dark Gray Shade Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for: