Vegetable PH at 7

CrybrugApril 21, 2012

I just got the soil tested for the new vegetable garden and it was at ph7. We live in central FL with sandy and clay soil mix. Should I put in any additive to bring the soil to ph 5-6? Will adding fertilizer change the ph level?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengimp(9B Seminole Cnty FL)

Did you add anything to the soil before you had it tested? Is it close to a lot of concrete?

Clay? Have you looked on your county property appraiser map at soil levels to see what soil type is labeled for your property?

Sorry, I know .. lots of questions.

Fertilizer generally does not change PH. Lime will raise PH. Pine needles/bark and oak leaves will lower PH.

Actually, 7 is pretty neutral so I wouldn't worry about PH too much. What I would worry about is getting lots of organic material into your veggie bed to hold the nutrients the veggies will need.

~dianne

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 9:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Crybrug

gardengimp Nothing was added to the soil before it was tested. The house is about 4 feet from where the soil was tested. So yes a lot of concrete. It looks like we are mostly clay with a fair sprinkle of sand. So should I just add the organic matter and let the soil go for the vegetables?

Thanks for the help

Here is a link that might be useful: area for the vegetable

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
What is your best/favorite ground cover?
I need ground cover ideas. I love to fill in places...
aroidgardener
Jungle Growth at Lowes?
Is Lowes no longer carrying Jungle Growth Potting soil?...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
Growing milkweed (A. tuberosa) from seed in Central Fl.
Hi! I'm new here, and I'd like to see if anyone has...
martianpictures
Mango and Lychee Blooms "fried" by the recent Freeze
Just wanted to vent a little to my fellow mango and...
puglvr1
crinum flowers
This started blooming just before our expected freeze....
marcia_m
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™