Fuschia Seed Source

inchworminjersey(7)August 26, 2012

I'd like to try to grow fuschias from seed. Does anyone know of a seed source for a mixed seed packet. I'd love to grow a variety instead of just one type. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

What kind of fuchsias? One can sometimes find seeds for specific hardy fuchsias available online but tender/hanging basket fuchsias are most often complex hybrids and so do not come true from seed. They are most often propagated by cuttings.

You can collect seeds yourself from these plants and grow baby fuchsias but the offspring or seed-grown plants will not necessarily resemble the parent plant. There are various how-to articles online......I've attached one that tells you how to harvest seed to get you started.

Here is a link that might be useful: harvesting fuchsia seed

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 2:51PM
inchworminjersey(7)

Hi Gardengal, I appreciate your good advice. I have two fuschias this year. I fell in love with them, and was hoping to add to the collection. Will they winterover well in my basement, or should I take cuttings and grow these to blooming size through the winter.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 7:35AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

How about both? Take cuttings and overwinter the mother plant too. If you know anyone with other, different fuchsias you only need to beg a small tip cutting to start a new plant ie the end of a non-flowering shoot with 1 or 2 pairs of leaves - just a couple of inches long. That's all you need.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 12:10PM
adahlberg(9)

I sell fuchsia species seed on ebay under andreasfancyplants. I have F. denticulata, F. boliviana 'Alba'. I grow and harvest these myself and am a member of the American Fuchsia Society. They do not have a seed bank. The seeds are hard to find but very easy to grow! I send instructions.

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 2:05PM
More Discussions
fuchsia gall mites - problem solved
I hope I'm neither redundant with this information...
jim_wood
Sources for Species Fuchsias in the US?
Hi there! This is my first post here in the Fuchsia...
ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
Yellowing leaves with odd pattern
I purchased a Fuchsia from Lowe's a month or so ago....
steedal
Angel's Earrings in the heat- Check it out
Planted a Cascading Angel's Earrings last year and...
fairfield8619
My fuchsia won't go dormant this year
In past years I wrote to the forum to say all the leaves...
tropical_thought
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™