Golden Malinka - hardy in some sun?

mharris1xAugust 8, 2010

Hi I have an issue with a new Golden Malinka, purchased about a month ago. Has a ton of new growth but almost no buds- although today I noticed 3 tiny little buds at the tip of one of the side branches. Other than that, no buds. My other fuchsias are prolific bloomers.

I know that if you get flowers that drop off, it means too much sun. But what about no buds? This fuchsia location gets the most sun of any of the others, but still I would not call heavy sun- under a bird bath that has about 2 hrs of morning sun, that is all. I bought the golden malinka because it is supposed to be hardy in some sun- flowers on this one are purple and red, so hardier than my whites.

thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

You have to remember that you are coming into fall now in USA. Most fuschias begin blooming in spring and continue into summer and later if they still have energy. If they are not blooming right now they are probably going to wait it out. Look after your plant and keep it well watered. Be patient.

Bookmark   October 2, 2010 at 11:31PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Just a small point - Golden MaRinka.

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 8:31AM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

It might be hardy in Southern Ca. The key thing is the duration as well as the intensity of frost. You are not likely to get temps below freezing for the greater part of the day (which will kill it). Be prepared for some damage, however, March is a particularly bad month,as the plant may well have started back into growth, and don't be afraid to cut back any frost-affected twigs.

Bookmark   March 11, 2011 at 10:04PM
More Discussions
Looking for a fuchsia "hat"
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and am going to...
Deano62
Can fuschia's survive Texas?
Howdy all, I love, love, LOVE fuschias. And they just...
rockyn
Sources for Species Fuchsias in the US?
Hi there! This is my first post here in the Fuchsia...
ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
New to Fuchsia, do you need to fertilize to continue blooms?
I read some articles that you need to fertilize fuchsias...
cyh527
name this fuchsia
The fuchsia is an upright lax growth,with large single...
blushofdawn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™