Frangrans not blooming

stephaneichMarch 16, 2011

I purchased 3 shrubs last spring, each about 3'tall at least, and they haven't bloomed in the year that i have had them. They were my choice because of all that has been written about the wonderful aroma. Anyone have some helpful thoughts? thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeff_al

are you referring to osmanthus fragrans (tea olive)?
if so, they are fall-bloomers.
your shrubs may not have bloomed last year because of being transplanted or the age of the shrub.

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 11:22AM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

Actually, they do bloom in the spring where there's mild winters is such as Houston. My mother's was blooming when I was down there last weekend. Where I live... winter was very harsh on mine. No blooms so far and lost all of the leaves last month so they are starting over with new leaves fortunately.

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 5:51PM
butterfly4u

Stephan,
The major factors for swet tea olives to bloom from what I have seen are sunshine, water and humidity and mulching.
They love full sun, so they will bloom better and more often with alot of sunshine.
They can't be allowed to go without water for more than a week, and when you water them, spray thier leaves too.
They need mulch (good pine mulch) around the base of the shrub or tree, a good 2-3 inches for the summer season. If you don't mulch them, don't plant them.
If you have already done the above essentials, try feeding them this year. I use diluted Miracle Grow once a month for them, they love it.
Good luck, I hope they will be blooming for you in April.
Mine bloom off and on all summer, but heavy in the spring and really heavy bloom in the fall.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 12:19AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

We have just one Osmanthus fragrans, though our neighbor has several. All are blooming like crazy right now. And it's become too cold (again) to sit outside, drats!

Ours blooms off and on all throughout the spring and into late fall.

Are these containerized plants or in-ground?

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 2:09PM
More Discussions
War on Gardenia's mealy bugs
A few months ago, we took home a beautifully flowering...
daniel_cl
Fragrant book reviews!
I was all in love with my latest fragrant book that...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Your 2015 wish list
Okay. I'm sort of ashamed to admit that I've already...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Jasmine 'Grand Duke of Tuscany Supreme'.
I cannot honestly remember if it is just GDT or the...
andrew78
fragrant whites of the summer...
Hi all blooms this season... Thanks for seeing... Radha....
radhavall
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™