Gardenia

mamajenn(z7 NC)March 28, 2005

1. How do I set up a new forum?

2. Need information on Gardenias. I was given an Augusta Beauty and have not been able to locate a forum on Gardenias on this site. I have never planted a gardenia but know they are extremely fragrant.

3. Are Otto Luyken, Dwarf English Laurels fragrant plants? Any information on these plants would be appreciated.

4. Are Indian Hawthorne's, Pink Lady and Snowbelles, fragrant plants? Any information on these plants would be appreciated also.

5. And last information on Winterberry Barberry plants would be appreciated.

Thank you for your responses as we have built a new house and I need help landscaping. I am in zone 7 of North Carolina near the Virginia border. The front of the house sits to the NW, main side to the N and of course shaded, rear to the NE.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeff_al

you are not allowed to "set up" a new forum. only the webmaster can do that. you should either post questions, photos or comments about plants on the appropriate forum. this one is fine for gardenias and there is also a "shrubs" forum that will get responses for those and your other shrub questions.
i grow gardenias (any of them) in partial (mainly afternoon)shade. others recommend full sun. they may not flower at all in deep shade, though partial shade is fine in my hot area.

Bookmark   March 28, 2005 at 10:56AM
roseyp8255(z8 - SC AL)

The more sun the better they bloom - i have gardenias planted in both full sun and partial shade.

Bookmark   March 28, 2005 at 10:22PM
mamajenn(z7 NC)

Thank you for your response. Jen

Bookmark   March 29, 2005 at 12:34AM
kadasuki(z6 NW AR)

I wrote Spike to request a forum on the Ozark region a couple years ago, and he started it up a few months later, you can always inquire about new forum ideas with the webmaster.

KK

Bookmark   March 31, 2005 at 2:53PM
ashef(coastal NC z8)

Jen,

There are a lot of threads about growing gardenias scattered among the various forums. Do a search on all forums for "gardenias" and you'll be busy for awhile with the results. My all time favorite GW thread is "The Suicidal Gardenia" which is beyond hilarious as folks describe how tempermental their gardenias are.

However, gardenias are almost native plants here along the coast near Wilmington because they thrive in our very light (sandy) soil and high humidity with no attention at all. They are the very opposite of tempermental here! I've seen 8x6 foot gardenia bushes covered in blooms beside long-abandoned farm houses. But they HATE clay, so if you have heavy soil, so you'll have problems -- put your gardenia in a pot.

Allie

Bookmark   March 31, 2005 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
fragrant whites of the summer...
Hi all blooms this season... Thanks for seeing... Radha....
radhavall
Fragrant book reviews!
I was all in love with my latest fragrant book that...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
I'm looking for Aglaia odorata or Chloranthus spicatus.
Hi, I live in Poland and I'm looking for Aglaia odorata...
8hydroxyquinoline
Blooming in February! We are late!!!
It is almost spring, why hasn't a thread on Blooming...
rubyjchang
Can someone ID this for me please!
I saw it in a Youtube video, but I couldn't make out...
earlisbubba
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™