Taking cuttings of Wedding Day Fuschia

Karba(z8 UK)September 29, 2004

I have a gorgeous fuschia - Wedding Day, which we bought in the spring as we are getting married next year. It has very large, and pretty flowers. I would like to take cuttings from it before it dies down. I have only had an accidental success of growing a 'cutting' before(a branch broke off a different fuschia and I just stuck it in a pot already in the garden - still growing strong!). So I don't really know the best way of taking the cuttings. I have also missed a fruit and it has developed into a very large pod, I have found the FAQ to be alittle confusing - I have never dealt with a fuschia fruit before, so I dont know what to expect when I cut it, and when is it ripe?? Anyone willing to help me I would appreciate it, lots.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tightathome(Yorks - UK)

Hi Karba

I think your Fuchsia is actually called 'Happy Wedding Day'? a photograph can be seen at:

http://thebfs.org.uk/pictures/h/happyweddingday.html

This time of year in the UK is not the ideal time to take cuttings of Fuchsia and in order to help you it would be helpful if you could provide a little bit more information,

a) Are there any stems on the plants that DO NOT have flowers or buds visible?

b) What facilities do you have if you take cutting i.e. heated greenhouse, propagator or just a windowsill?

With regards to your Fuchsia seed pod, again the facilities that you have will dictate what you can do with it at this time of year.

Tight

Bookmark   September 29, 2004 at 1:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

Look to see if there are any young shoots right at the base of the plant.Cut them off close to the bark.Remove the lower leaves. Stand in clean water - changing it at least twice a week until 1" long roots appear.Keep indoors in bright light but not full sun.Best method.

If there are only shoots with flower buds - carefully remove all of these with a pair of nail scissors.Rub off the lower leaves from the stem with your fingers so there is no trace of leaf stem left and wash clean.Cuttings should be about 3-4 " in length.Make the bottom cut just below a leaf node. Dip in hormone rooting powder and place inside a clear polythene bag with a few drops of water for 24 hours (to allow plant to absorb the hormone).Always use clean tap water not rainwater unless it is straight from the sky (fewer bacteria and fungi). Then either put in water as above (easier but less succesful) or dibble into sterilized sandy compost. 5 mins in the microwave to sterilize.Cover to avoid airborne fungi and allow soil to cool before dibbling. Place a jamjar over the top to form a mini greenhouse. After a few weeks remove the jamjar for short periods. At this time of year in UK rooting takes about 6 weeks its more of a faff but perfectly possible.Good luck.

Bookmark   October 2, 2004 at 7:50PM
More Discussions
Yellowing leaves with odd pattern
I purchased a Fuchsia from Lowe's a month or so ago....
steedal
New to forums
Hello from the PNW. Looking forward to learning and...
minifuchsia
New to caring for Hardy Fuchsia plants...
I have recently bought a hardy fuchsia plant. I'm a...
EllisRuby
first year fuchsia cuttings
I just bought from Jeffs garden center, who is having...
Debgon
Can fuschia's survive Texas?
Howdy all, I love, love, LOVE fuschias. And they just...
rockyn
Sponsored Products
The New Yorker Fish With People Beach Towel
Grandin Road
Dainolite Bermuda BER-3224-PC-790 Bermuda Style Pendant - BER-3224-PC-790
Hayneedle
Standard Diamond-Trellis Sham - TAUPE
$185.00 | Horchow
Small Neptune Solid Brass Crab Pull
Signature Hardware
Upton Home Holton Wall Mount Silver Entryway Coat/ Hat Hanging Rack
Overstock.com