My latest project--'Hardy' fuchsias IN the garden.

mkjones(z8)September 17, 2004

So, Kath, I bought a bunch of "hardy" fuchsias that are to be a good bet for my area....like heat, can handle my winter. Would they best be served in full sun, sun to partial shade, morning sun/afternoon shade, etc.? I know what my books and the vendors say, but REALLY, what's YOUR best advice for me?

=) Thanks, Kath--you're my Fuchsia Idol! lol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fuchsiabonsailady(z8 UK)

Hi there Kathleen,
You must be learning very well, I've missed your questions of late :)
As you live in Texas I'm going to say morning sun/definitely afternoon shade. Dig in plenty of compost before planting, remember fuchsias are greedy feeders and plant a bit deeper than they are in the pots.
Tease the roots out a bit before planting.
Keep the soil damp for the first couple of weeks, this will help the roots to penetrate the garden soil.
As they are in the garden you can water in the evenings when its cooler as the excess water will drain away.
Do let us know how you get on - Kath:)

Bookmark   September 17, 2004 at 5:40PM
ponderosaq(Z7 VA)

Where did you buy your hardy fuschias? I grew up in England and in my area fuschias as bushes were as common as lilacs or forsythia. I'd love to have some again.

Thanks.

Bookmark   September 22, 2004 at 5:42PM
mkjones(z8)

Hiya, Ponderosa--love that! The Cartwrights....=) I bought mine from www.fuchsia.net, Earthworks Fuchsia. Very nice lady--lots to choose from. The starts are very small, so just be forewarned. I really like doing business w/Linda, but the plants don't look like the ones in my books' recommendations (large, 4-in'ers). Another place I've found them is at www.accentsforthehomeandgarden.com....nice.

Good luck!
Kathleen

Bookmark   September 23, 2004 at 2:07PM
desperationfalls(z5 MA)

I got mine from Dutch Gardens--they have only one variety-
but they worked and bloomed all summer with the usual red/blue
coloring.

Bookmark   October 10, 2004 at 2:10PM
fuchsiabonsailady(z8 UK)

Sounds as if you're doing great ladies, persevere who knows how far you will go, glad you've had success - Kath:)

Bookmark   October 10, 2004 at 3:09PM
mkjones(z8)

YESSSSSSSS! My "s. reitzii," "Peacheds and Cream," and "Celia Smedley" fuchsias are thriving AND have buds formed!!! The other 8 are doing fabulously as well, just no buds yet. I'm thrilled to get what's forming so far though!!

SO pleased with my further ventures into fuchsias.....=)

Kathleen in TX

Bookmark   October 11, 2004 at 10:46PM
ponderosaq(Z7 VA)

Thanks for your reply Kathleen. I come from England and am used to all the wonderful fuscia varieties available there.
I miss them. I'll check into getting some from the sources you mentioned. I deal with small starts, but thanks for the warning.

Love the Cartwrights too and now I live on Ponderosa Rd. Since it is a private road I am the Queen of it..hence the Q!

Thanks again,
PQ

Bookmark   October 12, 2004 at 12:26PM
mikeandbarb(z8 D/FW)

Hello,

I've been thinking of getting some fuchsias. I live near Dallas are these hardy to my area without having to bring them inside for the winter?

Thanks, Barb

Bookmark   December 4, 2004 at 5:52PM
fuchsiabonsailady(z8 UK)

Hi Mike and Barb,
If you look at the lists of uprights on the fuchsia.net site that you mentioned in the other thread, you will see before the name of a particular fuchsia H1, or H2 or H3. As you are zone 8 choose ones with H3 before the fuchsia name, they should be ok - Kath:)

Bookmark   December 4, 2004 at 6:59PM
More Discussions
Hardiness of heat-tolerant fuchsia?
Someone gave me a lovely fuchsia that bloomed very...
vmr423
first year fuchsia cuttings
I just bought from Jeffs garden center, who is having...
Debgon
New to caring for Hardy Fuchsia plants...
I have recently bought a hardy fuchsia plant. I'm a...
EllisRuby
New to Fuchsia, do you need to fertilize to continue blooms?
I read some articles that you need to fertilize fuchsias...
cyh527
Can fuschia's survive Texas?
Howdy all, I love, love, LOVE fuschias. And they just...
rockyn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™