Something wrong...

apolloiceSeptember 1, 2009

I recently received my parent's fuschia and, while it bloomed often and fully before, it no longer grows new buds and the existing ones are dying before they open. A few of the leaves are browning. It's September 1st and I live in a agricultural area in California.

The plant is in a warmer environment but gets much more shade as it's kept indoors. I did feed it strong NPK (20-20-20) fertilizer tea and it exploded in buds for awhile. I pinched some off so as not to overwhelm the plant. It's always wet and I water as needed. I put it by the window to get more fresh air after the last buds died off and it's getting more sun but showing no signs of improvement.

Did I do anything to hurt my plant or is this natural fall hibernation?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sk290

I'm no expert in fuchsias but I do have a few of them. I live in Southern CA and my fuchsias are outside in the patio with lots of filtered sun (under a trellis) and they are flowering like crazy.

Fuchsias require a lot of water but hate 'wet feet'. Make sure you let the soil dry up well before watering them again. They hate being in soggy wet soil.

Good luck!

Bookmark   September 2, 2009 at 12:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

I suspect the problem is that it is indoors. I would put it outside in a moderately shaded place and stop feeding it for a while. Water sparingly as sk290 suggests. I think you may be killing it with kindness.

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 9:53AM
More Discussions
Yellowing leaves with odd pattern
I purchased a Fuchsia from Lowe's a month or so ago....
steedal
Fuchsia dropping a lot of leaves suddenly
Hello all, I bought a lovely Gartenmeister Fuchsia...
daffodilian
Dark Eyes versus Dollar Princess
I have an unknown fuchsia cutting that recently had...
dennis253
New to Fuchsia, do you need to fertilize to continue blooms?
I read some articles that you need to fertilize fuchsias...
cyh527
Hardiness of heat-tolerant fuchsia?
Someone gave me a lovely fuchsia that bloomed very...
vmr423
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™