Can Fuchsia grow in tropical climate?

yeopaul(Malaysia)October 5, 2004

Hi everyone,

I fall in love with fuchsia when i visited Cameron highland of Malaysia. Cameron highland has a cool climate, therefore you can have different varieties of temperate plants there.

I just like to know is it possible to plant fuchsia in tropical climate where the temperature is always above 30 degree celsius?

thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fuchsiabonsailady(z8 UK)

Hi Sunshine,
30c/86f is rather hot for fuchsias, they prefer 18/20c - 64/68f, after saying that some varieties will tolerate 25c/77f, do you have humidity as well? - Kath:)

Bookmark   October 5, 2004 at 7:43AM
yeopaul(Malaysia)

yes, we have a very himid climate too. does it affect fuchsias?

Bookmark   December 26, 2004 at 9:28AM
socal23(USDA10/Sunset23)

yeopaul, there is no way you are going to be able to grow any variety of fuschia at less than 3000 feet elevation at 5o north latitude. The problem isn't so much your daytime highs but your very warm night temperatures and the high humidity (evaporative cooling is inefficient with high humidity-think about sweating). If you had a very cool place to bring it into at night (less than 18oc), you might get one to survive but it would never thrive.

Ryan

Bookmark   December 27, 2004 at 11:35AM
yeopaul(Malaysia)

Thanks Ryan. It is a sad thing. i got a few of them planting in different conditions, it doesn't look good..just like what you said, it might survive but it would never thrive, i am going to believe that but will probably give it a few more tries.

thanks for the advise.

Bookmark   December 27, 2004 at 6:25PM
socal23(USDA10/Sunset23)

If you've managed to keep them alive outside I'm impressed, how long have you been growing them?

Ryan

Bookmark   December 27, 2004 at 7:03PM
DgreenR

You could try asking some local gardeners or a nursery if they have ever had any luck with any certain species of fuschia or a plant similiar to fuschia. Your best bet for growing them is probably in a shady area. Maybe you could grow them somewhere in your house where it is possibly cooler?

Bookmark   January 1, 2005 at 2:03AM
Heavenrse(Z9 FL)

Hiya all! We just bought a bunch of Fucsias at a local nursery here in Central Florida. We were told they were grown locally. :)

It is rare down here though. We've always thought they were annuals and died, and I just learned that they "sleep" for the winter...

I need to read up on these beautiful flowers!

Pic attached of our find :)

Bookmark   March 15, 2005 at 4:48PM
coralred(Tropical)

I went to Cameron highlands and bought back a red/purple Fuchsia too. The mother plant didn't make it but a cutting did. It's kind of slow growing under our 30C heat but I managed to propagate another cutting from the cutting I made earlier. At night it enjoy the air conditioning at around 24-25C. I hope it will flower one day for me.

I have seen another person who grew it in the office aircon environment and it bloomed gorgeously.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 4:29AM
alzubide(Jordan-Amman)

I live in a Mediterranean climate, the temperature during the day goes up to the middle of 30Âs and down to 20Âs during the night time, I bought three fuchsia in winter they were very gorgeous, two of them almost vanished and one of them still flowering, I keep them in the shade away from the sun, I was advised to cut back the other two to ground level hoping they will come back again when start to cool during the month of October

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 6:35AM
momiji79(BKK Thailand)

I live in Thailand and fuchsias can grow very well in the highlands of northern Thailand. They can be found on sale in northern Thailand (in the lowlands) but I am not sure how well they do there. Anyhow, I bought one a few days ago and leave it in a shady place during the daytime outdoors and bring it into the air conditioned room at night. Lets see how well it does.

Current climate in Bangkok : 27C -37C.

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 1:27AM
coralred(Tropical)

Hi momiji79,

Do feedback on how your fuchsia is doing. Mine is thin looking but still flowering.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 2:59AM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

Fuchsias do grow in tropical climates but only at altitude. Our local fuchsia (Fuchsia regia) is not found below 1200m altitude (3700 feet). I think this is about the height of the Cameron highlands also. I can grow it at lower altitudes (800 m) if it is sited with great care ie. in almost full shade. Another thing is don't be tempted, as you might be with Fuchsia, to keep it very well watered. They will only grow in the summer half and winter watering usually kills them or makes them leggy, at any rate very poor flowering. Keep them very dry at this time of year. A lot of fuschias do not thrive here.

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 11:02PM
jonlaug33

I am new to this forum so just saw your post today. I lived on Guam for 17 years. I hand carried cuttings from California and rooted them in on my kitchem window on Guam. They did very well and did have lovely flowers. I grew them in shade under an avacado tree and soursap trees. Temperature on Guam is usually always in the low to high 80's....and very humid... My biggest enemy wwere the typhoons.

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 12:17AM
rain1950(W. WA z8)

Perhaps this listing will help. From the PNW Fucshia Society

Here is a link that might be useful: Heat tolerant Fucshias

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 1:34AM
gardenlady76(TX coast/9)

You know I really get angry at my local nurseries. I lived for six years in Oregon and Northern CA and grew many Fuchsia. When I returned home to Houston, you all know how hot and humid the Gulf Coast area is, I knew I could no longer have them here. Yet, the darn local nurseries insist on selling them at a very high price. To me it is just a rip off of the local people who see the beautiful flowers and think they can grow them here. Shame, shame, shame on the greedy nursery people. End of rant,,,

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 1:00PM
More Discussions
What kind of fuchsia is this? Upright tree-like growth
Hey! So I was at the garden center near me with the...
cfox248
Sources for Species Fuchsias in the US?
Hi there! This is my first post here in the Fuchsia...
ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
Looking for a fuchsia "hat"
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and am going to...
Deano62
Yellowing leaves with odd pattern
I purchased a Fuchsia from Lowe's a month or so ago....
steedal
Hardiness of heat-tolerant fuchsia?
Someone gave me a lovely fuchsia that bloomed very...
vmr423
Sponsored Products
'Wisconsin' Box Sign
$7.49 | zulily
Prism Coffee Table in
$289.00 | LexMod
Jenisen Arch 51 1/2" Wide Bronze Bathroom Light
Lamps Plus
BEGA | Impact Resistant LED Ceiling and Wall Light - 3470
$260.00 | YLighting
Outdoor Area Rug: Escape Pacific Heights Ocean 5' 6" x 8'
Home Depot