Aglaia odorata with bent trunk

perennialfan273(zone 5)March 31, 2012

I ordered this from Pepper's Greenhouse a couple weeks ago. It was like this when it arrived. Here are some pictures of the tree. As you can see, it is bent at the base of the trunk and will not stand up straight on its own. I am planning on turning this into a bonsai (keeping it small) but this is not the kind of bend I want my tree to have. I recently potted it up in coir, as I was advised to do this on the forum. However, I was recently told by a friend that this is not a good idea. Would it be okay to pot it up in turface instead??

Anyways, here are some pictures of the tree when it first arrived (don't have pictures of it in the coir yet).

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af165/mryan79266/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kemistry(8 - Oregon)

Hi perennialfan273. It looks fine to me. The next time you repot just turn the root ball a bit so that the main branch stands up straight.
I've grown plants in coir mix before. It is water-retentive; just like peat. If you are able to obtain some bark fine then use the 5.1.1 mix instead (i think i've saw you over in the container forum). If not, then add a lot of perlite to your mix and use a reasonable size clay pot for this plant. Good luck! :)

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 6:10PM
More Discussions
How can i preserve flower scent for as long as possible?
I have a couple lilies growing and the scent is AMAZING,...
jerem
Chloranthus spicatus, pearl orchid, chicken foot
Hi, does anyone have a cutting available of this plant?...
donnagoetz
What is finally being evicted this year?
Anyone finally lose patience or be so disappointed...
Maggie (Vancouver, BC 8a)
Lilac identifications
Hi all, Last year I purchased what I thought were two...
mabend
How large does Epiphyllum oxypetalum need to be to bloom?
So last night on a whim I decided to check out the...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™