fuchsia flower size

myth111November 13, 2007

I have noticed lately that some of my normally large flowered fuchsias are growing small flowers but lots of them

I feed & water them regularly so what else can I do ?

any ideas welcome

Myth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

First off, which Fuchsia is it? What size are the flowers supposed to be? I have a Fuchsia, Bella Rosella, it did the same thing. A young plant from a cutting, had huge flowers the first time it bloomed, as it matured and produced more flowers the flowers got a little smaller but now fit the AFS registered description more accurately.

A......

Bookmark   November 15, 2007 at 12:38PM
myth111

hi
thanks for reply, the fuchsia concerned is cecile, it is supposed to have large blooms & did last year, the plant is several years old , Im thinking I may need to pinch it out or not feed it so often

Myth

Bookmark   November 16, 2007 at 1:25AM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

I found the description for Cecile in Mr. Boullemier's checklist, this might be of some help.
CECILE. Double. Thick light pink tube, deep rose-pink sepals curl back covering tube and ovary, tipped light green. Corolla lavender-blue, pink at base. Medium sized blooms one inch long by two inches wide, tightly ruffled and pleated. Cordate shaped foliage 1in x 2 1/2ins. Growth natural, without weights will make good basket, best colour in shade. There's a bit more info as to when it was registered with the AFS and by who which I haven't added.

Another thought, do you replant in fresh mix each year, and yes pinching will force new growth, the flowers more than likely will be bigger on this.

A......

Bookmark   November 16, 2007 at 12:19PM
myth111

hi
yes I replant in new mix every year & I think it just needs pinching as it has had too many buds
thanks for your help
Myth

Bookmark   November 17, 2007 at 5:51AM
More Discussions
Sources for Species Fuchsias in the US?
Hi there! This is my first post here in the Fuchsia...
ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
What kind of fuchsia is this? Upright tree-like growth
Hey! So I was at the garden center near me with the...
cfox248
Hardiness of heat-tolerant fuchsia?
Someone gave me a lovely fuchsia that bloomed very...
vmr423
Angel's Earrings in the heat- Check it out
Planted a Cascading Angel's Earrings last year and...
fairfield8619
Unknown fuchsia
Small flowers, less than 1 and a half inches across....
pearlbegonia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™