Overwintering Fuschia

VMWOOD(z5IA)December 31, 2004

This is my first year to attempt overwintering fuschias. I pruned them back when I brought them in and have also started new plants from cuttings, They are growing in a 60-70 degree greenhouse. My question is can I expect them to bloom during the winter months. You can view one growing in the hanging basket on the left at URL shown below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inside Greenhouse 2

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DgreenR

There's a fairly good chance of your fuschias blooming over the winter. If you have cut some of them back a ton they may take a little while. I have fuschias that are blooming right now in my dinning room. There's a chance that this will be the only time this winter that they bloom but theres a chance they will bloom again. Last year I only had one inside over the winter but bloomed and it grew a lot but it defoliated in late winter. Your greenhouse is probably an ideal place for them. I plan on moving mine to a greenhouse that I just purchased as soon as it is up and running.
good luck and happy newyear!

-DB

Bookmark   January 1, 2005 at 1:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cady(6b/Sunset34 MA)

My "Gartenmeister" was blooming beautifully in its outdoor location until I forgot about the frost warning and left it overnight... It died to the soil, but fortunately the roots were fine. Now it is sending up healthy shoots indoors, but I know it will be a long time before it blooms.

Bookmark   January 6, 2005 at 2:40PM
More Discussions
Can fuschia's survive Texas?
Howdy all, I love, love, LOVE fuschias. And they just...
rockyn
Dark Eyes versus Dollar Princess
I have an unknown fuchsia cutting that recently had...
dennis253
Unknown fuchsia
Small flowers, less than 1 and a half inches across....
pearlbegonia
Insects damaging fuchsia
Hey everyone, So I have a Fuchsia plant that shares...
jasper
Please help id
Hoping someone can help me id my fuchsia. Thanks everyone......
plumejunkie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™