Compost Indoors

tightathome(Yorks - UK)December 9, 2004

Hi All

The first stage of my process of taking cuttings (starts) is now underway. I have measured out the compost (the stuff that goes in the tray - not the stuff that you allow to rot down in a corner of your garden). The measurement is 4 x 5" pots of compost to 2 x 5" pots of perlite (my perlite is fairly coarse - the coarser the better).

The compost and perlite need mixing together and I find the easiest way to do this is to use a large plastic (polythene) bag add the compost and perlite and then holding the top closed shaking steadily from top to bottom until the mixing is complete (usually a minute or so). At this stage I will check for moisture in the mix by squeezing the compost, if it sticks to my hands it is too wet - if it doesn't form a ball it is too dry and if it forms a ball then falls apart in my hand when touched it is just right.If water is needed do this by using a hand spray and plain water, if too much water is in the compost add a little more perlite and let the mix stand for a day or so before re-checking.

This mixed bag has been placed in the greenhouse to warm up a little (it's fairly cool here at the moment and as the compost is stored outside I find that it is better to do that. The cuttings won't appreciate cold feet and they will root better with a bit of warmth.

It will be a couple of days now before the compost is warm enough to use.... bye for now

Tight....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kankayak(z5 Ks.)

This I like.. But I bet we drive you crazy with questions.

Your compost, what is it composed of? A seed starting mix, sand, or?

Bookmark   December 10, 2004 at 12:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tightathome(Yorks - UK)

Hi Bob and All

I need to get a few bits ready today for when I have taken my cuttings. I will post some more information later when I have done this and post some more photos to show you what I have been doin.

In the meantime, to answer your question Bob, this is the 'compost' I am using at the moment, a simple multi purpose compost.

It has sufficient nutrients to get the roots searching for food as soon as they have formed and although some growers say that the compost should be virtually inert I have used this method for years.

If it produces nice short cuttings and a good root system like this, I think I will stick with what I am doingÂ

Tight....

Bookmark   December 10, 2004 at 4:07AM
More Discussions
New to Fuchsia, do you need to fertilize to continue blooms?
I read some articles that you need to fertilize fuchsias...
cyh527
Help with IDing yellow leaf brown spot problem?
Hi, I'm having problems with my Fuchsia standards....
raehelen
first year fuchsia cuttings
I just bought from Jeffs garden center, who is having...
Debgon
Looking for a fuchsia "hat"
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and am going to...
Deano62
fuchsia - pinto de blue
Is this an upright or a trailing fuchsia
blushofdawn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™