how well do cosmos transplant?

louisianagal(z7bMS)October 11, 2012

I sowed some cosmos around a maple tree in front yard. They are pretty. It is the Seashell mix with pinks and white. The colors sort of clash with the mixed shrub and perennial border along the foundation in the front. So I am wondering if I could lift them and move them elsewhere, or just let them be. Not sure I can harvest any seed becoz we will probably get a killing frost this month. I don't think they will go to seed b4 then.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

I wouldn't try to transplant them if they are already blooming. You might be surprised how quickly cosmos will produce seed. I bet you could have seeds in two weeks. You'll need to protect the flowers once they have faded, to keep birds from eating the seeds and knocking them onto the ground. I've used old nylons or tulle bags from the wedding department at craft stores. Tie them around the faded flowers and let them catch the seeds as they dry. Good luck. If you don't manage to save any seed, I've got lots that I've save in the past year or two that I'd be happy to donate.

Martha

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 10:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
louisianagal(z7bMS)

Thank You!

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 11:32AM
More Discussions
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning all. It is warmer here today, but seems...
cyn427
Just a little test post -
I'm trying to see how the new posting works. First,...
ThinMan Z5 MI
Boxwood not looking good
It's blowing snow and cold here today and the boxwood...
schoolhouse_gw
A picture from everyone , 2014
I remember loving the threads that would get started...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Hillside cottage garden
Hello! I am going to make my first ever attempt at...
rickcrum
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™