Calathea: a fragrant houseplant for low light

musaboru(Inland Calif.)March 31, 2012

I would like to thank Daxin for mentioning this plant in an old post on fragrant houseplants. I went out and bought this plant back in late January with no idea on how long I will have to wait for it to bloom. Well, I was pleasantly surprised today to see this one flower. And judging by the number of sheaths there, it may produce at least 2 dozen more flowers like this in the upcoming weeks.

As for the scent, it reminds me very much of 'Singapore' plumeria with that light citrus/lemony fragrance. Again, it's not very strong, but very pleasant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Very nice!

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 12:14PM
kemistry(8 - Oregon)

How do you grow this plant musaboru? Does it receive any direct sunlight?

A house plant that I'd like to recommend is the common Corn Plant (Dracaena). It has a very impressive scent when it blooms. Super fragrant; smells like greentea+jasmine :o)

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 10:38PM
musaboru(Inland Calif.)

Kemistry,
I grow this with no direct sunlight at all in my bedroom (the only window is north-facing). And it's too far away from any artificial lighting to receive any benefit from that. Just keep it well watered on the moist side, but not soggy. If allowed to dry completely some of the leaves may start to turn brown. I water it like once or twice a week dependingly. It's pretty easy to care for; not much fuss.

I've been wanting to get a corn plant as well, but they're
just too gigantic for my room hehe.

I figure the species I have is C. concinna, but Daxin mentions it wasn't concinna he got but a similar-looking species, so perhaps that might be more fragrant than C. concinna.

The bad thing is the flowers only last a day. Good thing is they bloom in sucession. After this one died, 3 more flowers popped out of the bracts and I can see more coming.

Stoke's Tropicals sells a variety of Calathea with pink bracts held up high that is noted to be fragrant. The flowers are actually white though.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 12:12AM
kemistry(8 - Oregon)

Thanks musaboru! I will keep an eye out for the Calathea. I've got plenty of spots near my south facing windows that don't get direct sunlight. Yay..!

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 6:03PM
More Discussions
Millingtonia hortensis
I see that Logee's has Millingtonia hortensis on sale...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Help badly timed pruning.
Help! The Neighbour has SEVERLY 'pruned' a jasmine...
logo
Randia ruiziana (Angel of the Night) flower bud?
I don't know but I sure hope so! I've been noticing...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
War on Gardenia's mealy bugs
A few months ago, we took home a beautifully flowering...
daniel_cl
Osmanthus fragrans 'Fudingzhu'
I bought three large plants because I read about their...
KJMM
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™