Planting daffodils 12"

tuliper(7B RVA)October 12, 2013

Hi, I've planted daffodils in loamy ordinary soil with good drainage for years at a depth of 12" which is very deep for many people. I have never had a problem with blooming diminishing in subsequent years and they do not rot or lower in numbers. I have a much later bloom time, which I very much seek since I am not usually outside much in March to enjoy them. I am wondering how many other people plant their daffodils very deeply, as in a foot deep or more. I plant tulips very deeply, too. I can extend the daffodil bloom throughout all of April on daffs that bloom in March, and the tulips tend to perennialize considerably better at that depth. So, I'd like to know has anyone planted daffodils in loamy soil at a depth of 12" or more? Clay soil would probably have adverse effects on the bulbs health and eventually they would peter out and rot. Thanks, Matt.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyn427 (zone 7)

We have heavy clay soil here. I plant my daffs about 6-8" deep. Last year, they were blooming when we had that snowstorm on the first day of our spring break-aarrgghh.

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 4:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tuliper(7B RVA)

Such an awesome picture cyn427!

I would suggest digging very deeply around 16-18" and then backfill 4-6" of topsoil so the bulbs roots will easily grow into the loam and not the heavy clay. The daffodils I keep buying for of are named "payday" from Colorblends and bloom throughout April for me. Latest large yellow trumpet daffs I can find! I just planted 300 tulips at 12"+ too. Some probably as deep as 14-15"

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 8:44PM
More Discussions
A few pictures
Hi cottage gardeners. I don't have a lot of strictly...
lois
Removing leaf mulch
Anyone in Northeast Ohio remove the leaf mulch (or...
schoolhouse_gw
New Rose I hope to get - Night Owl climbing rose
Hey all you PURPLE freaks out there. Here is the rose...
sweetannie4u
Forum changed ALOT
OMGosh, this whole forum completely changed! WHen did...
todancewithwolves
Weekend Trivia: thoughts and questions
Hello trivia players, Nancy and I have been chatting...
cyn427 (zone 7)
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Bohemian Green 8 ft. x 10 ft.
Home Depot
Tiffany Style Roses Stained Glass 32 x 20-inch Window Panel
Overstock.com
Brunello Planter - 35 diam. in. - A269017
$325.80 | Hayneedle
Baylor Bears Two-Sided Garden Flag
$9.99 | zulily
133" Red Cedar Canterbury Arbor w/Gate & 2 Wings
Fifthroom.com
Jaipur Brio Mod World Modern Geometric Pattern Polyester Tufted Rug - RRC001100-
$62.00 | Hayneedle
Antique Finish Engraved Wooden Floral Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
Black Swirlio Dessert Maker
$39.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™