Jasmine propagation

fancyorchid(9a S.F. Bay Area)April 11, 2011

Is it possible to propagate a jasmine from a "cutting"? I would appreciate a response !!!

Annamaria

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mams(9)

Yes, I've rooted a sambac jasmine in plain tap water. The cutting I took was about 3-6 month old. Took about 2-3 months to root.

Other ways would be to root it directly in soil with some rooting hormone and tenting. I used "water in a glass" method so I could see what was going on with the cutting, but others have had success with the soil method too.

There are several posts regarding this information - in detail "how-tos", if you search for it, you'll find them!

Good luck with your cuttings.

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 2:42PM
fancyorchid(9a S.F. Bay Area)

Thank you, Mams...for letting me know...where are you from? I'm also rooting it in water...but it's rain water with a pinch of epsom salts and a few drops of Schultz's micro nutrients, how easy or difficult to "find" the "Grand Duke" Jasmine??? Now I've added Jasmines to my fragrant outdoor plants. I'm growing Plumerias with quite some success!!!!
Annamaria

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 3:19PM
kemistry(8 - Oregon)

My most favorite rooting method is called the Forsythe Pot. It's so easy!!! Take a look:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG4419.html

Bookmark   April 12, 2011 at 5:11PM
mams(9)

I'm sure you'll find grand dukes in local nurseries as the weather gets warmer. I did see it at HD last year, but did not buy it since I thot it would be a finicky plant to care for.
I am located in the SJ-Bay area, and these last couple of summers have been mild at best. Even my sambac jasmines have been struggling to catch up and grow beyond the previous year's growth!! Even with all the help I can give them..
Anyway, I really hope that your plants do much better than mine - these microclimates are very different from one place to other, and if you've been having success with your plumerias - thats amazing.

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 12:39PM
foolishpleasure

Annamaria
If you really want some good Duke of Tuscany Jasmin. Almost Eden is the king of Jasmin. Those people are so professional they restored my faith again in the on-line nurseries. I used several On-line Nurseries and I can write a book about my disappointments. But not Almost Eden. You get exactly what they say you will get, plants are very healthy and the way they ship them is amazing. They shipped my plants in a separate tubes and the pots are rapped in wet paper towels. The Shipping did not cause any shocks. I hope you don't think I am a salesman for them I don't even know where they are may be somewhere in the south west.
As for propagation I do it for all trees. I use the air layering for big trees (very easy and sure way. and I use the baggy method for small trees. You put the cutting into a plastic bag filled with wet sphagnum moss. In summer keep the bag in your car to take advantage of the solar energy, in winter I put it on a heating mat. The Cup and water way works too but from the research I read the roots are weak, short and lazy. Under the theory if water is plenty and available why grow and run to find water. I don't know I am not an expert I just read a lot.

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 2:13AM

Thank you,"foolishpleasure", I like your way...does it have to be a "thick" stem to be successful? How big was the Jasmine you ordered? I'll check their website.
Thanks again for your help,
Annamaria

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 5:21PM

Thank you "foolishpleasure", how thick or long does the cutting need to be? Where are you from?
Thank you, again,
Annamaria

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 5:58PM
More Discussions
Chimonanthus Praecox Wintersweet in Zone 6?
The Chinese Winterswwet (Chimonanthus Praecox) is listed...
redsun9
Can someone ID this for me please!
I saw it in a Youtube video, but I couldn't make out...
earlisbubba
Jasmine sambac 'MOO' growth habit
I've seen other posts about the scrufulous habit of...
dbarron
chloranthus spicatus
I gave a cutting of chloranthus spicatus to a friend...
donnagoetz
My Gardenia is dying because of spider mites,what to do?
Gardenia dying off below pic Ok to start with this...
Marwa Mars
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™