Magnolia ernestii (Michelia wilsonii)

Ron_BApril 22, 2005

A friend's Bellevue, WA (Zone 8) specimen is having its second year of bloom, after growing like a weed for some years. The yellowness of them is interesting, plus they look back at you. Their aroma isn't much, a rather typical fruity/fermentation smell.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

They don't seem very hardy according to Dave's Garden. M. skinneriana is rated to 0 degrees F. Does anyone grow it? How fragrant is it?

Bookmark   April 24, 2005 at 2:28AM
Ron_B

I think these Piroche introductions are too new to know if they will survive a 30 year winter, unless they actually started importing some of them before 1990. Meanwhile, I wouldn't be expecting 0 degrees F. in the more heavily populated PNW lowlands (where most people live and garden) anytime soon.

Bookmark   April 25, 2005 at 12:33AM
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

It only went to 6 degrees F to kill my 10' Eucalyptus gunnii that was supposed to be hardy to 0 degrees F, because it dropped to 6* 3 days after the first frost. So conditions like those can be very hard on plants. Or very low temps after they have already started growing in spring.

I'm just wondering if the hardier Michelia is worth growing for fragrance.

Bookmark   April 25, 2005 at 4:53PM
Ron_B

Gums grown here vary in hardiness from one seedling to the next. Probably few, if any eucalyptus species can be assigned a single minimum temperature. The bamboo Chusquea culeou has been said to vary in hardiness from 0 to 20 degrees F.

The minimum temperature for a plant need only be reached for a short time for it to freeze off.

Bookmark   April 29, 2005 at 12:35AM
Ron_B

Haven't tried one yet that was dynamite, myself. Maybe only the tender ones have memorable fragrances. Fairly hardy M. figo seems to be a favorite, however. Also seems to vary, from what I have seen posted on this site.

Bookmark   April 29, 2005 at 12:38AM
More Discussions
chloranthus spicatus
I gave a cutting of chloranthus spicatus to a friend...
donnagoetz
Randia ruiziana (Angel of the Night) flower bud?
I don't know but I sure hope so! I've been noticing...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
fragrant whites of the summer...
Hi all blooms this season... Thanks for seeing... Radha....
radhavall
Hamamelis mollis
I have a new spot under a huge cedar that has been...
Maggie (Vancouver, BC 8a)
Blooming in January!
Happy New Year everyone! Narcissus tazetta - Chinese...
true_blue (MTL CAN Z4)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™