Will my gardenias recover?

modlins5(z6 OK)April 4, 2006

I think I made a big boo-boo! Last year we bought two lovely gardenia bushes. We planted them in pretty pots in the front yard. They did ok, except the buds kept falling off just before they would bloom. Only a small few actually bloomed. This past fall, I was afraid to leave them out for the winter because we had planted one in the ground the year before, and it didn't make it. So, I repotted them and brought them in. The leaves all fell off, but a couple of months ago, they started getting new leaves. This week, I moved them back outside and fed them. The leaves were only on the tops of the branches for the most part. Now, some of them are turning yellow. They look so sad. Did I ruin them? Should I have just let them over-winter outside? Will they recover??

~Carrie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimshy

Gardenias will drop leaves if they experience a shock, which moving from inside to outside usually is, particularly if the night temps are colder than what they were used to.

Don't panic! As long as the roots are healthy, they should continue making new leaves. Just don't overwater them while they don't have leaves, keep the soil evenly moist, and DON'T fertilize any more -- gardenias don't like heavy fertilizing unless they're large and well-established, and more fert right now will only shock them more.

BTW, no gardenia will survive a z6 winter in a pot, so you did the right thing to bring them in for the winter.

Good luck!

Jim

Bookmark   April 5, 2006 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
Just recieved my michelia alba!
Today I received my michelia alba that I bought from...
Andrew Scott
Meyermike, you still out there??
Hope you are doing good, I haven't been on the forum...
mersiepoo
Wanted: Rare scented plants
I have many rare scented tropicals to swap. Please...
Tropical Gardener
Blooming in May
The thread is open :-)
true_blue
Clematis Sugar-Sweet Blue
Ugh. Another fragrant clematis to tempt me! Sugar-Sweet...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Sponsored Products
Kaddur Kids Chair in Red
$600.00 | LexMod
Kelley 74" modern sofa
Interior Define
Love Birds Cast Iron Hanging Plant Shelf Bracket
Signature Hardware
Built In Oven Cabinet
CliqStudios Cabinets
Calliope Crystal Wall Sconce by Robert Abbey
$168.30 | Lumens