Does any one know the best indoor gardenia?

meyermike_1micha(5)April 29, 2009

Can anyone let me know what is the easiest gardenia to grow indoors? One that has HUGE flowers, very fragrant, and not that finicky about being grown indoors through a winter. Pretty tough to kill...

I remember someone hear saying something about being able to store his denia in his cellar at cold temps and in darkness, that he finds them easy to grow. I can't remember that thread.

Was it the majesty one?

Thanks alot

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimshy

The best indoor 'denia is the one that lasts more than a week without dropping buds and eventually kicking the bucket!

;>)

I would love to hear if anyone's had greater longevity than me; my g. taheitensis was pretty, fragrant, and lasted for the better part of a year, but it never flourished for me.

Jim

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 6:46PM
musaboru(Inland Calif.)

This is sort of unrelated, but just an FYI....the Target stores here have Aimee gardenias for under $7. Might not be available in different regions, but I feel worth looking there to see if your local Target has them. And there is a lot of growth for a 1 gallon pot, very lush compared to gardenias from other garden centers. For $7, I think its really worth the buy, even if it lives for one month or to use it as a indoor guinea pig. LOL.

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 10:31PM
jeff_al

i personally wouldn't even attempt without a hothouse except for something like cool, dormant storage and then they'll probably look like dead by the time you could get them outdoors for the next growing season.
of course, the perfect indoor gardenia might just be found alongside the sky blue rose, the arctic white marigold and the glowing orange clematis. ;-) i.e. as of yet, undiscovered.

Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 3:25PM
More Discussions
Hamamelis mollis
I have a new spot under a huge cedar that has been...
Maggie (Vancouver, BC 8a)
Blooming in January!
Happy New Year everyone! Narcissus tazetta - Chinese...
true_blue
Suggestions for Southern CA Zone 9b
Hi All, After my first of gardening, I have discovered...
KJMM
War on Gardenia's mealy bugs
A few months ago, we took home a beautifully flowering...
daniel_cl
fragrant whites of the summer...
Hi all blooms this season... Thanks for seeing... Radha....
radhavall
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™