Avocado tree

KPGrdngrlApril 27, 2012

I have an avocado tree that gave fruit for 1 year... more than we could count and not since? Until that year we really hadn't had any avocado for 12 years. Suggestions? I have occasionally fertilized, but not regularly. An a few years ago the freeze got some of the tree, but it was after that that we had the huge crop?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katkin_gw

I heard or read somewhere that they have one good year and then a poor one and so on. :o)

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 7:32PM
billbrandi(9)

I'm not surprised that you had a bumper crop after a freeze. The tree goes dormant to protect itself and then when warm weather returns it recovers, putting out fruit.

Was your tree from a seed or was it grafted on to rootstock? That can make a difference.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 12:44PM
KPGrdngrl

The tree was there when we moved in 18 years ago. We have only had 2 or 3 harvests in all those years... What can I do to encourage fruit? Fertilizer? It is probably 30-40 feet tall.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 1:01PM
rednofl(9b Goldenrod Fl hz 10)

A light fertilizer labeled for citrus applied each month March thru August. A root drench with a liquid Iron product and a citrus foliage spray applied each spring should help you have a more consistent Crop. Do you know what type it is, If it is an A or B type plant you may need the proper pollinator nearby to get better production.
Enjoy

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 8:17PM
More Discussions
Need help with growing healthy cannas
I have several cannas, both large and dwarf, but do...
gardenbear49
Yacon rhizomes
Hey Carmen, You out there? CYE pronto, I have your...
tomncath
What is your best/favorite ground cover?
I need ground cover ideas. I love to fill in places...
aroidgardener
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
bought a green shell ginger--will I be sorry?
I rescued a green Alpinia zerumbet (not the variegated...
marcia_m
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™