Question About Pollination After Rain

alameda/zone 8June 9, 2014

This morning, I dabbed pollen about 9-10am. About 11:30, a big storm came up and we got 2" of rain. The storm came up suddenly, before it did, I dabbed pollen on a few more.

My question is, what are the chances of seeds making after this rain? How long does the pollen have to be dabbed before it "takes"? Even if they don't set seed, it was great to have the wonderful rain!

Another question, which is the best time of day to pollinate? I always thought it best in the morning. If a lily was pollinated in the late afternoon, will seeds still set?
Thanks...
Judith

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dementieva(Zone 9 - Houston)

My understanding is that the temperature is the biggest thing that will stop pollination (at least in Texas), so I always try to do it early.

I would think that anything you did before it rained would have a good chance. It should be pretty quick for the pollen to start travelling down the pistil if it is going to do so, and once it's in there, I don't think the rain will stop it.

Nate

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 7:01AM
alameda/zone 8

Guess I will find out........the afternoon storm gave 2". We had another big one about midnight that gave another 2". I pollinated a couple just before the first rain came down so there probably wasn't 30 minutes from time I pollinated until the rain came. Pollen would have to travel pretty fast to have done its job. I try to do my dabbing in early morning, even before I feed my horses. This morning, it was nice and cool, some pollen hadn't even opened up yet.

Judith

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 11:51AM
weedyseedy

We have three days rain predicted here so I am going to try----some say water and/or heat kills pollen in a short time ( old article in daylily journal) but I have one bud left on an early seedling--it's now or never!---------------Weedy

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 12:11PM
More Discussions
Seedlings that you can't wait to see how they do this year
We all have some seedlings that we can't wait to see...
dragonflypond
Curt Hanson daylilies
This took me some time to find most of my pics. I'm...
Julia NY
in case anyone is interested
here is the link to Daylily Mecca info , in case anyone...
signet_gw
Voles and Snow Cover
With the great weather today I did some cleanup in...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
A Beautiful Spring Day Today
It is typical Alabama weather. Today was mid 70s,...
organic_kitten
Sponsored Products
AICO Furniture - Vizcaya Leather/Fabric Loveseat - 37825-BROWN-58
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - Imperial Court Server - 79007-40
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - Oppulente Wood Trim Channel Back Sofa -...
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - Windsor Court Gentleman's Chest in Vintage...
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - Bella Cera Dresser - 38050-260
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - Incept Dark Almond Executive Office Credenza with...
Great Furniture Deal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™