Things are better for year 2

inuloverApril 28, 2012

Everything burned up my first year here because I hadn't figured out the upside down growing seasons. This is from my 3X6 raised bed. The tomatoes are close, as well as the kohlrabi, beets, and Chinese cabbage. My family up North is still waiting out the last frost.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whgille(FL 9b)

Hi Larry

Very nice harvest! and I am sure you will do better and better in the future.

I had a very successful dinner party yesterday with the harvest from the garden, I was too busy for the pictures...here is the menu:

Cheese, hummus and pita chips
Red lentil soup with tomatoes, onions and herbs from the garden.
Roasted chicken with herbs and citrus from the garden, secret ingredient I made a hot pepper oil with the hot french peppers from the garden.
Roasted kale with gruyere cheese and croutons
Collards cooked in chicken stock and bacon on the side
Farro grain with cucumbers, tomatoes and herbs from the garden
Zucchini tian with onions, carrots and potatoes with the secret ingredient zaatar herb from the garden.
Corn is in season so I made corn cakes, they asked for the recipe, it was that good!
And my favorite was green beans freshly harvested with shallots and hazelnuts from Italy.
For dessert I made peach shortcake with peaches from the farm.
Now you see why I am tired today,lol.

Silvia

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 12:26PM
corar4gw(JAX9A)

Silvia, I can only guess that you must have an awesome kitchen to accomplish such a meal! Not to mention an impressive collection of cook and serve ware. I've not been able to get to one of your plant swaps, but the comments from those who did attend are suffecient to make me insanely jealous. Perhaps, if I buy the gas, I can talk Carol into taking a weekend off to attend the next one. Something to really look forward to.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 1:49PM
whgille(FL 9b)

Hi Cora

I would love to have you and Carol at one of the get togethers! You just have to come and meet us and I promise to make something good to eat. I mostly make what is in the garden and what is in season and yes I do have a nice collection of cookbooks and spices.:) Looking forward to meet you one day...

Silvia

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 2:48PM
More Discussions
Please help ID this agastache 9a
Hi All, It's been a long time since I've had time to...
rvird01
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
What is your best/favorite ground cover?
I need ground cover ideas. I love to fill in places...
aroidgardener
Growing milkweed (A. tuberosa) from seed in Central Fl.
Hi! I'm new here, and I'd like to see if anyone has...
martianpictures
Need help with growing healthy cannas
I have several cannas, both large and dwarf, but do...
gardenbear49
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™