Birmingham, AL Free Native Plant Dig

tsmith2579(7B)February 6, 2004

It's that time of year again when the Birmingham Beautification Board sponsors the free plant dig. This year's event will be held on Saturday, Feb. 21 from Noon - 4 p.m. at the New Georgia landfill/dump between North Birmingham and Fultondale, just off I-65. The will post signs on the Interstate hughway and at the exit. Native plants that would otherwise be bulldozed are available. All you have to do is dig them and carry them out. There are a lot of blackberry vines on the property so I suggest you wear long sleeves, long pants and boots. Bring a sharp shovel and burlap bag in which to carry the plants. You might want to bring water for the roots or a large pot to keep the roots from drying out. Also bring water, soft drinks or snacks because they don't sell them. You can call the Birmingham Beautification Board at 205-787-5222 for more information.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsmith2579(7B)

It's this coming weekend. Hope to see you there.

Bookmark   February 16, 2004 at 8:57PM
MNature(z6 TN)

Have you done this before and was it this time of year. Seems like a lot of plants will not even have emerged yet. What a great program, however.

Bookmark   February 17, 2004 at 5:19AM
tsmith2579(7B)

Yes, I have participated several times. I go especially for the oakleaf hydrangeas. Now is a very good time to dig the plants. The threat of a very hard freeze is almost past. The plants are still dormant so it is a good time to transplant. There was an article about it in Monday's BIRMINHAM NEWS. Look at www.al.com and search for the article for directions, etc. In what part of Mississippi do you live.

Bookmark   February 17, 2004 at 8:38AM
MNature(z6 TN)

Although I live on the west side of the state and will not be coming, I'm delighted to discover a new source for plants. Of course, I will tell friends. I did so enjoy visiting the Birmingham Botanical Garden last year. The Hellebores and cherry trees were spectacular when we were there.
Happy Digging

Bookmark   February 17, 2004 at 10:03AM
More Discussions
Anyone from Southwest Idaho?
Hey, are there any Boiseans or Treasure Valley gardeners...
karalyn
Any get togethers, swaps, or general plant-ness going on in SC?
I have a ton of plants to swap, and live in Charleston....
NeonCactus
maps31
Free BBQ & Fruit Tree and Plant Lovers Gathering!!!!
FREE BBQ!!! Starting out with Free and following with...
darkman270
Any teenage gardener who likes gardening read on.
Any teenage gardener on this site do you want to be...
Olwas2013
Sponsored Products
Ecco! Fruit Holder by Alessi
$155.00 | Lumens
Rusty Faucet Planter
$23.99 | Dot & Bo
Gardening Supplies. 4 ft. 2-Lamp High Output 54-Watt (Each) T5 Black Grow Light
$94.97 | Home Depot
Agave Round Pendant
Lightology
Floral Burst Outdoor Wall Art
Grandin Road