best way to fertilize a Grand Duke?

Need2SeeGreen(10 (SoCal))April 25, 2013

Hello:

I have been searching here and I see some suggested approaches, and I was hoping to make sure I'm on the right track.

Oh, also I have hard water. What do I need to change because of that?

Several posts have suggested these fertilizers:

in the soil: "Ironite to keep the leaves dark green and some slow release fertilizer (I prefer Dynamite)..."

as regular fertilizer:
"a bloom-booster or fert for acid loving plants ... You can try pellets, like osmocote..."

Would it be overkill if I did both the soil boosting, and the bloom-booster or pellets? Is one way better than the other?

I've been using diluted fish emulsion and it doesn't look that happy yet -- though, the weather isn't reliably hot yet.

Also, there is a nasturtium in the same pot -- should I yank it out? I can put it somewhere else.

As you can see, I really want to baby this plant -- it hasn't been growing much, which is okay, but this winter, I also lost a big branch and I don't know why, I didn't do anything different.

Thanks for all suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)

Hi Need2SeeGreen,

I recently repotted all my sambac jasmines (Jasminum sambac). I have Grand Duke, Belle of India and Mysore Mulli.

Here's what I did-

I first shook off as much of the old potting mix as possible and trimmed roots where needed.
I then potted up using Al's 5:1:1 mix which I first screened all materials before mixing together. I then threw in some all purpose Dynamite slow release fertilizer and a little Ironite.
I'll occasionally use a liquid fertilizer during the growing season (Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro).

I wouldn't use both kinds of slow release fertilizer in your mix.

As long as your potting medium is fast draining and you give the plant sun your jasmine should thrive.

I don't know anything about hard water so I suggest googling that part.

Personally I would move the nasturtium to its own pot since it will be competing with the jasmine for water and nutrients.

Good luck!

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 12:27

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 12:14PM
butterfly4u

Need to see,
Don't team this plant up with another plant.
I use a professional planting soil for pots, you can get it at any nursery, not a big box store. I also use extra perilite mixed in the soil.
I also use Foliage Pro, which I ordered online,but I dilute it really fine, not full strength, every time I water it.
I cut mine down big time every fall before I bring it in the house for the winter.
Mine has started to grow now, it has been cool, but as soon as it gets a little warmer, it usually takes off.
I treat my Grand Duke like a gardenia, it receives morning sun and then afternoon shade. it does well with that.
If you have hard water, don't use it!
You can buy water at Walmart by the gallon really cheap.
Or any kind of bottled drinking water. Or distilled water from any place, (they sell it usually at pharmacies like CVS). You can also collect rain water for it in a bucket, just put a lid on the top after it rains.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:32PM
    Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 10:28AM
More Discussions
War on Gardenia's mealy bugs
A few months ago, we took home a beautifully flowering...
daniel_cl
chloranthus spicatus
I gave a cutting of chloranthus spicatus to a friend...
donnagoetz
Millingtonia hortensis
I see that Logee's has Millingtonia hortensis on sale...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Suggestions for Southern CA Zone 9b
Hi All, After my first of gardening, I have discovered...
KJMM
fragrant whites of the summer...
Hi all blooms this season... Thanks for seeing... Radha....
radhavall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™