fragrant violas

dragonfly71(5)April 8, 2008

Hi everyone, I'm new here but not new to gardening...

A few years ago, I came across a pastel colored fragrant viola but can't remember the name. Can anyone recommend any varieties of violas that have a strong fragrance or a good place to buy them? I live in western PA in zone 5.

Thanks,

Lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trianglejohn

In my experience the most fragrant are the pansies with the ruffled edges - they are sold under a variety of names but they all pretty much look alike (look for names like Rococo and Flamenco). The ones I found came in a mix of colors, grew tall stems (like 8 inches up), and were heavily ruffled. I haven't seen them available in the last couple of years so I don't know where you could get them. I saw them at Home Depot. I would shop around and give all the violas and pansies you see the sniff test.

Bookmark   April 9, 2008 at 11:11AM
jeff_al

do a web search for viola odorata. quite a few online nurseries list fragrant cultivars of these.
i have not seen them offered by places like the local box-store garden centers.

Bookmark   April 9, 2008 at 12:12PM
monarda_gw

There is a series of "English" violas that are noticeably fragrant, that includes cultivars named "Etain" (yellow with lilac edge) and "Columbine" (white striped lilac). I find Columbine highly fragrant -- it's a perennial, though not tremendously vigorous. I notice that it is widely available this year and have purchased a few.

Here is a link that might be useful: English viola

Bookmark   April 14, 2008 at 10:15AM
buzzy(8PugetSound)

Canyon Creek (online) has lots of viola odorata cultivars by mail; they're in northern Cal or Oregon, I think. Thompson and Morgan has a selection of fragrant blue violas.

Bookmark   April 14, 2008 at 8:38PM
More Discussions
Pruning Honeysuckle??
I have a wonderful fence full of honeysuckle. It is...
womanhead
Jasmine 'Grand Duke of Tuscany Supreme'.
I cannot honestly remember if it is just GDT or the...
andrew78
I'm looking for Aglaia odorata or Chloranthus spicatus.
Hi, I live in Poland and I'm looking for Aglaia odorata...
8hydroxyquinoline
My Gardenia is dying because of spider mites,what to do?
Gardenia dying off below pic Ok to start with this...
Marwa Mars
Ixora odorata
Hello, does anyone have this on the mainland U.S.A.?...
donnagoetz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™