larkspur ?

plays_in_dirt_dirt(Z7A VA bordering NC state line)November 17, 2010

I planted larkspur for the first time last year and just loved it. I saved quite a few seeds so I'd have some to winter sow, but now I wonder if that was necessary. I have larkspur volunteers so thick I can't even see the ground beneath them. Will they survive the winter and grow in spring? We haven't had a hard, killing frost yet. I'm in zone 7a, south central Virginia bordering the NC state line.

Thanks,

Barbara in Virginia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mosswitch

Larkspur always reseeds in the fall in my garden, stays green all winter and blooms the next early summer. I'm in zone 6b so I am sure it will survive in your zone.

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 4:19PM
plays_in_dirt_dirt(Z7A VA bordering NC state line)

Thanks, moss. I thought it might but needed assurance. Such a nice plant. I had some spotty rebloom but plan to cut it back next year for more. I'm getting braver at cutting back.

Barbara in Virginia

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 5:00PM
frogview00

Hi, PID

I'm below Danville in NC. I never touch my larkspur seeds. When pulling up the spent plants, I shake them over the garden to scatter the seeds. Mine have sprouted now.
Jim

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 3:55AM
countrycarolyn(6-7nwTN)

"I'm getting braver at cutting back."

My rules of thumb for cutting back is to at least leave a few leaves on evergreens like shasta daisy I cut those back about october. If it is something like a hollow stem, I tend to cut those back in the spring like victoria salvia. If it is something decideous I mow it in the fall like leadwort.

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 9:23AM
irene_dsc(5)

Hm. I just noticed today that I have a ton of larkspur seedlings. I wonder if they will overwinter here in zone 5???

Bookmark   November 20, 2010 at 2:19PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

Lots of seedlings here too, but only because I saved seeds last spring and sowed them about a month ago. Can't wait till they're big enough to start transplanting.

Bookmark   November 20, 2010 at 5:51PM
thinman(Z5 MI)

Hey, Irene, I hope they do overwinter in Zone 5, because I have a bunch too. I know that conventional wisdom says to plant them in the spring in our zone, but I've had trouble getting larkspur going in the spring. I thought I'd try starting some this fall. I have lots of nice seedlings with their first pair of true leaves and I'm really hoping that they can make it through the winter. If we get an early snow that sticks and insulates the ground, I think they will have a shot. Good luck to both of us.

You folks in zones south of us should have it made.

ThinMan

Bookmark   November 20, 2010 at 6:28PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Larkspur seedlings survive the winter in my gardens even without any mulching. In the fall I also shake the dried up larkspur with seeds in areas where I want them next spring.

Bookmark   November 21, 2010 at 1:53PM
token28001(zone7b NC)

Overwinters here too. I've got gobs of seedlings out there. Poppies are starting to appear now. Nigella is up too.

Bookmark   November 22, 2010 at 8:50AM
irene_dsc(5)

This is promising...I've sprinkled them in the fall before, but I didn't remember seeing seedlings before spring...

Bookmark   November 22, 2010 at 7:42PM
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

Goodness gracious; all of these larkspur growers..let's see your pictures of them..

Bookmark   November 23, 2010 at 9:40PM
Prettypetals_GA_7-8

Well dang, should I sprinkle some seeds now in zone 7 NW Ga or is it to late? I have tried to grow some seeds in spring and they never do anything much but I am not a good one at remembering to water. I would love to have some because they are sooooo pretty. I, too would love to see some pics. Judy

Bookmark   November 23, 2010 at 10:02PM
frogview00

I played this year and separated the seeds. White for shade and blue for sun.

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 7:03AM
plantmaven(8b/9a TX)

If you plan to transplant seedlings, do it before they get above 2", as they have a very long taproot.

I would post a picture of last year's larkspur forest, but I am having trouble with photobucket.

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 9:50AM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

Plantmaven, thanks for the heads up! Putting it on my to-do list for next week.

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 11:36AM
plays_in_dirt_dirt(Z7A VA bordering NC state line)

If anyone wants seeds, email me from My Page. Mine are purple and mauve. I got them from Vera, who doesn't post much anymore.

So, plantmaven, you're saying I can transplant the seedlings now and they will survive for spring bloom? I have several areas I'd like to put some. Mine are below the 2" inch stage.

Barbara in Virginia

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 2:14PM
plantmaven(8b/9a TX)

Worth a try. I am much further south than you. Just keep them moist for a while, so the roots will continue to grow.

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 2:59PM
countrycarolyn(6-7nwTN)

Frogview what is that tall wine colored flower in your second pictue?? Is it a lilly?? Very pretty and showy!!

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 4:29PM
Prettypetals_GA_7-8

Hey everyone, Just asking again, sorry to repeat so soon, but can I sprinkle some seeds now in zone 7 or is it to late?

Frogview your pic is gorgeous. I want to grow some real bad. Thanks, Judy

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 5:04PM
frogview00

Geez.....I thought people were going to show pics of larkspur.

CC, yes, lilies. Sadly, this garden was dismantled late summer succumbing to deer. I went as far as buying netting, then said it was crazy to go to such extremes. It is now lawn.
sigh.........

Jim

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 5:22PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

I planted two larkspur last fall. One died within a month or so. I'm guessing it's because of the long tap root like plantmaven said. I saved a bunch of seeds from the single plant that bloomed.

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 6:39PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Blue Butterfly

winter sown 2008

From plants tapped on the ground, seeds self sown Fall 2008
Photo 2010

Bookmark   November 25, 2010 at 4:31AM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

This spring I planted some pink larkspur wintersown 2009-10. I find that the ones I ws often grow sparsely the first year and fill out the next year. Pink ones did bloom this year but were short and sparse.

Bookmark   November 25, 2010 at 4:36AM
frogview00

I use the "generic" or species. Very prolific. I have never tried transplanting because of the tap root, but I always cull.

Bookmark   November 25, 2010 at 8:34AM
sweetannie4u(midOK_z6b/7a)

Transplant them on a rainy or cool overcast day. You will get more of the taproot and they will not go into shock as much if at all. Prop them up with a little twig or two.

It's a good time to sow many flower seeds:
daisies, nigella, poppies, larkspur, foxgloves, delphiniums, Cups and Saucers, petunias, Sweet William, petunias, bachelor buttons, flax, mallows, stocks, pansies, nasturtiums, sweet allysum, and all perennials.

~Annie

Bookmark   December 2, 2010 at 1:55AM
More Discussions
Removing leaf mulch
Anyone in Northeast Ohio remove the leaf mulch (or...
schoolhouse_gw
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning dear cottagers. Today has brought with...
cyn427 (zone 7)
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning cottagers! Do you remember how I was bemoaning...
cyn427 (zone 7)
Weekend Trivia: thoughts and questions
Hello trivia players, Nancy and I have been chatting...
cyn427 (zone 7)
Early rose-Gingersnap
I was trying to post this a couple of weeks ago but...
jakkom
Sponsored Products
Garden Party Wreath - 24" dia.
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Pinking of You Collection Wreath
$39.99 | zulily
Pink Larkspur Spray
$17.99 | zulily
Tech Lighting | Larkspur Suspension Light
$737.60 | YLighting
Larkspur Slumped Surf White Glass MonoRail Pendant
Euro Style Lighting