starting peas indoors?

esthermgrJanuary 7, 2010

What do ya'll think about the wisdom of starting some sugar snap peas indoors and transplanting them out in about three weeks after it thaws? I've never grown peas before, so I don't know how they transplant. I always seem to miss the brief spring window for sowing them though and this year I am determined to start as early as possible.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

I always plant them in the fall.

Bookmark   January 8, 2010 at 12:27PM
liliumskygazer(7)

GGG, how does that work for you? I had always heard that the seedlings are more cold hardy than the more mature plants and that they wouldn't make it through the winter.

I usually plant mine in the ground late Jan or early Feb. One time I presprouted them in a moist paper towel. (I soaked them overnight first like I do for regular planting.) I can't remember if it worked better. I ought to do a test and plant half the regular way and half pre-spouted.

I think the problem with raising seedlings in pots would be letting them get too big so that the roots are disturbed at planting.

Bookmark   January 8, 2010 at 12:55PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Well, it has worked well so far, until perhaps today or this year. At Holy C. we lost all our peas as of yesterday to severe frost bite. Some of mine looked OK yesterday, some did not....

Bookmark   January 8, 2010 at 1:28PM
cyrus_gardner(8)

Sorry GGG. I lost a few things too.

So with the peas, I will plant some WHEN this persisting cold is over, hopefully. I love sugar snaps.

Bookmark   January 8, 2010 at 3:30PM
satellitehead(z8 ATL Metro)

i thought peas and beans were something you were always supposed to sow directly in the ground?

Bookmark   January 8, 2010 at 8:43PM
More Discussions
online peonies
Just ordered some peonies from a California nursery...
raptor1
Native shade plant recommendations
I live just north of Atlanta and am looking for recommendations...
atrox
Houston triumph tulips
Hi. In georgia, what month do Houston Triumph Tulips...
tulipwedding
Dracaena Massangeana - leaves are turning yellow and then brown!!
Hello, I bought a Dracaena Massangeana plant about...
daniel159
Atlanta Seed swap
Would anyone be interested in doing an Atlanta seed...
planterjeff
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™