Caladiums are up!

love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)April 14, 2014

Yay! All of my caladiums have 3-4 inches of spears poking up through the soil. The white ones are completely up and leafed out - have been, for about a week. The pinks and reds are following. I assume everyone in central and south Florida have had your caladiums for awhile?

Carol in Jacksonville

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Yeah I will have to go out and check mine. I have some planted in the front border of a front flowerbed. I put them in last year. I was hoping they might come back lol.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 1:26PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

That's great! I have one that's coming through the mulch also...Now if only my Hostas come back...I planted it 2 years ago and it came up last year but I can't remember when April or May?

If not, I will have to buy a couple more...Lowe's is suppose to get some in the end of the week...

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 2:46PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

Mine spent the winter in the greenhouse and I lost about 10 pots of them - 4 pots have leaves emerging.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 3:39PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Hi Kay,

Were the bulbs lifted or were they in soil in pots? If in pots, were they being watered or were they kept dry? If in soil and kept dry (so rot is not suspected), soil is a pretty good insulator. I wouldn't be sure they were dead yet. Just because the leaves disappeared doesn't mean they are dead. They do go dormant, even in a greenhouse.

I would take the pots outside in full sun and water them good for the first time. Give it a week or two and I bet you see leaves come up. I haven't lost any in pots, even the pots that were left outside and I think we were as cold as you (except for the snow and ice).

Carol

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 4:16PM
KaraLynn(z9 FL, Inverness, Citrus)

Some of mine have started coming up but not all of them.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 5:05PM
wallisadi

Not here, cold mornings, rainy winter........I hope......

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 6:45PM
morningloree(9b)

Have some that came up, especially white ones. For some reason, I thought they usually came up later.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 7:49PM

Hmmm I don't see any signs of mine yet. I thought at first that I had found some but they turned out to be the 'wild' white and red hurricane lilies that I had dug up from around the property and transferred to my flower bed near where I had the caladiums.
~SJN

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 12:17PM
kinzyjr

Mine are all up. All of them are red.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 6:36PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

Carol, they were watered a couple of times while in the greenhouse. A week or so ago, I took all the pots out and emptied them onto a tarp. Several were o.k. and some were rotted. I saved the soil and used it in other pots as filler, so all was not lost.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 7:45AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Well I noticed one of Hostas finally broke through the mulch...but I'm SO mad!! Deer ate most of the leaves on the one I just planted and took a bite off the small one that just broke through...they also ate half the leaves of my Caladium and ALL the blooms on my Roses...ARGGG!!

They also hit a few of my neighbors yard...**sigh**

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 7:48AM

I dug up where the caladiums were and accidently cut one in half that was the size of my fist so they are still there. I put rooting hormone with a fungicide on both sides of the cut one and replanted it so hopefully it won't rot. The bulbs are putting up little sprouts just hadn't broken through the surface of the ground. Odd that they are being so slow.
~sjn

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 11:03AM
wallisadi

Finally and gingers....90's will do it....plus 3 or more inches of rain last two days.......

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 5:25PM
rvird01

Still no sign of my caladiums or hostas :(

Also, we have not received one drop of rain! Everywhere around us had had storms every day this week. Thoughts and prayers going out to those living through this week's nasty weather.

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
Growing milkweed (A. tuberosa) from seed in Central Fl.
Hi! I'm new here, and I'd like to see if anyone has...
martianpictures
So, What Do YOU Do About Coons And Possums?
I just sent three of them to that big veggie garden...
brute
What is your best/favorite ground cover?
I need ground cover ideas. I love to fill in places...
aroidgardener
Why Doesn't My Sapodilla Ripen?
For the past 3 years my sapodilla tree has had an ever...
billbrandi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™