Psoralea pinnata

AgastacheMan(z7 CA)April 11, 2005

If anyone prefers intense fragrance with a differen't approach to leave size and shape, definately grow this shrub. I have had mine for about 8 years now, well protected from the frost, and lots of second generation plants coming and going through the business, not to mention the neighbors. On a warm summer night here, you can smell a sweet, grape kool aid fragrance....definately something to try for the warmer climates, or over-winter them in a cold frame or a sheltered patio.....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimshy

I've only seen this species in books, and think it looks very interesting -- could you give a bit more details on how big it gets, when's the blooming season, etc?

Just one note of caution; it's listed as invasive in Australia, so California growers my have the same problem.

Jim

Bookmark   April 15, 2005 at 10:36AM
AgastacheMan(z7 CA)

Never had an invasive problem, nor other plants owners I know never had a problem with reseeding or suckering. This plant, also known as the grape KoolAid plant, will get about 15 ft. tall and so wide here in central California. It does not like frost, and will let you know, but it does pose a surgence of potted psoralea everywhere that you can see sometimes in yards here. There are, however, really nice specimens towards the coast, where it does not freeze. Psoralea provides with an exfoliating bark, making a slight manzanita appearance to it. The leaves are needle-like, but soft and not allergenic... Other than that, it blooms in Spring and again in late Summer with a clear blue pea-like flower, with a white under-lip. the fragrance, well, you get the picture with the KoolAid name....and not one invasive feature about it....

Bookmark   April 15, 2005 at 7:30PM
hatzigirl

I am planting mine today and hoping it is good fit here in a Rancho Cordova back yard and will choke out some nasty grasses, ivy and constant seedlings from the neighbors bay trees and yet is non invasive itself.
That's kind of a lot to ask but here we go.
I would love to hear about other people's experiences with it.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 2:10PM
More Discussions
Suggestions for Southern CA Zone 9b
Hi All, After my first of gardening, I have discovered...
KJMM
' daphne odora'. Are they hard to keep alive as many say?
If they are not for you, especially in my climate zone...
meyermike_1micha
chloranthus spicatus
I gave a cutting of chloranthus spicatus to a friend...
donnagoetz
Jasminum Sambac Grand Duke supreme
I have found Jasminum Sambac Grand Duke Supreme plants...
bunti
fragrant whites of the summer...
Hi all blooms this season... Thanks for seeing... Radha....
radhavall
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™