Beautifully fragrant Michelia Champaca

sunshine100April 24, 2006

Hi all

Im planning on buying a couple of Michelia Champaca plants in Jacksonville Florida zone 8B.I heard the plant is hardy only in zones 10 and 11. I was wondering if anybody has tried to grow it successfully in zone 8? I would love to hear about your experiences if you have.

Im from India and my grandparents had a huge M champaca tree growing in their backyard. It always had flowers and you could smell them from a few feet away. Funny thing is my grandparents are not big gardeners and they dint fertilize it or water it that much either, but the plant has been growing and producing tons of fragrant orange flowers for atleast twenty years now.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Shree

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sowandsew(8bTX)

Only if you have a greenhouse to protect through the winter. A friend bought one and had it growing in a large pot but it never bloomed. Michelia Figo (banana scent) grows well here but requires an acid soil. Since my soil is alkaline I have to add ironite and still it isn't as green as it should be but it blooms well.

Bookmark   April 25, 2006 at 11:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunshine100

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it. I may get the figo then! I hope it smells as good as the champaca.
Shree

Bookmark   April 27, 2006 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
Blooming in March!
Osmanthus fragrans decided to show off a few blooms...
true_blue (MTL CAN Z4)
Blooming in January!
Happy New Year everyone! Narcissus tazetta - Chinese...
true_blue (MTL CAN Z4)
Osmanthus fragrans 'Fudingzhu'
I bought three large plants because I read about their...
KJMM
War on Gardenia's mealy bugs
A few months ago, we took home a beautifully flowering...
daniel_cl
Suggestions for Southern CA Zone 9b
Hi All, After my first of gardening, I have discovered...
KJMM
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™