Hedge or vine to hide chain link fence???

pinkgator(9)April 22, 2012

We have a 3-4 ft high chain link fence on our side yard, facing the front of the house (we are in two lots, so we have about 20-25 ft of side yard). I want either a hedge or a vine to hide the chain link. The area is in full sun pretty much all day long.

What would be fastest to grow? Easiest maintenance? Anything that would flower?

Azalea?

Jasmine?

Plain green hedge?

I saw a beautiful periwinkle colored flowering, kind of stalky bush type thing in front of a fence in St Pete a few weeks ago. Any idea what that would've been?

I also thought about blueberry bushes... Any thoughts on that?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
crueltyfre(Tampa 9a heat 10 sunset 26)

How about honeysuckle? It flowers, attracts hummers/butterflies, is evergreen and most importantly, hardy.
Lori

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 2:25PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Meems who writes the Hoe and Shovel blog has used the highly aromatic Confederate Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides)to cover a chain link fence. The vine is gorgeous and it is the subject of her current blog. Please see link below.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoe and Shovel Blog - The Scent of Jasmine

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 2:46PM
ritaweeda

Confederate Jasmine works really well on the chain-links. Coral Honeysuckle is great, it's a native, but a little hard to find, especially at the big-box stores. Was the periwinkle colored one a vine or a bush?? If it was a bush it was probably Plumbago. I have seen that trained on a trellis, so I suppose you could do the same thing on a fence. Blueberries have to be grown in pure ground pine mulch, and you can kill them with the wrong type of fertilizer, I wouldn't go there.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 2:50PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

If you look back at this old post in Hoe and Shovel from February 2008, you can see where/how the confederate jasmine is planted next to the fence. Click on any photo to see a larger version. Give it a few seconds after you click - for some reason, the photos take awhile to kick in (display).

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Confederate Jasmine plants on chain link fence

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 2:54PM
crueltyfre(Tampa 9a heat 10 sunset 26)

I have confederate jasmine on my back fence and while I obviously like it, I wouldn't recommend it for one reason...when you trim it, and it will need trimming or it runs along the ground and comes up other places, it has a white sap that gums up and dulls your tools, and gets on you and your clothes that is very hard to get off.
Lori

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 3:08PM
wildmutt(10b)

Thanks for the heads up on the mess, Lori. I will use the junky tools and clothes when I whack at it, which may be in a while since my plants are about 4 inches tall right now. :-)

I want to know how bad the bees get around it. I have a big yard but don't want to put it where there might be lots of bees around the gate or kids' play areas, and I have read not to plant it near a door due to bees.

Thanks,
Gina

btw is there a way to set up my profile so I can get emails to track responses to which threads I posted questions on?

I have a bunch of starters

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 11:16AM
wildmutt(10b)

ok i see i can clip my posts to keep track,
thx

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 11:24AM
More Discussions
TR Hovey dwarf papaya plants
This year I branched out and grew two varieties of...
happy_fl_gardener
Mango and Lychee Blooms "fried" by the recent Freeze
Just wanted to vent a little to my fellow mango and...
puglvr1
Mexican Flame Vine
It is conceivable that I've asked this question here...
wisconsitom
Please help ID this agastache 9a
Hi All, It's been a long time since I've had time to...
rvird01
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™