Winter care of Hollyhocks

yotetrapper(7)November 22, 2008

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but I couldnt figure out a different one to post it in.

I planted hollyhocks this june. They grew about 2-3' high, but did not bloom. Now they have been frosted, and are wilted but still pretty green. The ground here is not yet frozen.

Is there anything I need to do now to ensure they bloom next summer? Cut, mulch, etc? Or just leave them be? They're on the west side of my chicken pen.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lorna-organic

I leave my hollyhocks alone during winter. I don't cut back whatever has been frost damaged, until cold weather is over. The frost damaged parts protect the plant to some extent. Your hollyhocks ought to grow back hale and hearty come spring.

Lorna

Bookmark   November 22, 2008 at 4:36PM
thinman(Z5 MI)

I cut my old flowering stalks down, because they are looking pretty ratty by October. The leaves at the base of the plant always look happy and green at that time, and I'm sure if I went out right now and dug the snow off of them, they would still look pretty good. Next spring the leaves will pick up where they left off in the fall, as though winter was only a mild discomfort for them.

I grow only the single-flowered old-fashioned kind, but I think you can count on yours sending up flower stalks next spring, almost no matter what you do.

ThinMan

Bookmark   November 22, 2008 at 4:55PM
yotetrapper(7)

Thanks guys! Hollyhocks are my new favorite old flower lol. I want lots of them, to completely surround my large chicken pens. I planted like 20 some of them... all boughten. This year I'm winter sowing bunches of them lol.

Bookmark   November 23, 2008 at 4:30AM
More Discussions
My first real gardening venture this year
The sun is out, it's 80 degrees in my unheated greenhouse...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning all. It is supposed to warm up into the...
cyn427
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Happy Saturday Morning, Cottagers!! Well, it's a grey...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
Forum changed ALOT
OMGosh, this whole forum completely changed! WHen did...
todancewithwolves
Here's what my Garden looks like!!
The icicles are getting crazy big, but they look pretty...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™