Germinating Murraya Paniculata seeds help

bumblebees_mom(z9 Jax, FL)April 3, 2005

I read the other thread on Murraya Paniculata and I have picked some fresh berries and I have removed the red fruit and I now have the white inner seed as is depicted in the same thread. Now what? Should I peel back the white outer coating or just nick it a little? I've heard these are easy to germinate but I've had nothing but rotten luck (no pun intended 8-) so I'm looking for suggestions from people who have had success with it. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
risingpower1(Essex, UK)

I don't think there's any need to nick the seed, just soak it for 2 hours, then sow it in a free draining compost, should be fine with plenty of sun.

Bookmark   April 4, 2005 at 2:08PM
bumblebees_mom(z9 Jax, FL)

Well that didn't work the last time.

Bookmark   April 4, 2005 at 9:23PM
risingpower1(Essex, UK)

Odd, can't say I've had any problems germinating them that way, took a short while, but they did germinate. Sealed in a plastic bag and put on a sunny windowsill and sown about 1/4 of an inch deep.

Bookmark   April 5, 2005 at 5:19AM
bumblebees_mom(z9 Jax, FL)

I don't know what happened, but nothing germinated and it looked like the seeds rotted inside the white covering. The seeds were supposed to be fresh too. This time I have picked seeds from a friend's tree and I know they are definitely fresh, but alas I do not have many so I didn't want to goof it up.

Bookmark   April 5, 2005 at 11:10PM
Phlox(Z9/Sunset14CA)

I removed the seeds from the hard shell they were in. I think there were two seeds per capsule. My fruit was very moldy and old, so I didn't expect much. But after a couple weeks they all came up and are still doing very well.

Bookmark   April 6, 2005 at 3:25AM
More Discussions
Ixora odorata
Hello, does anyone have this on the mainland U.S.A.?...
donnagoetz
Plumeria stenopetala
So I've been resisting ordering a plant for days now...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Osmanthus fragrans 'Fudingzhu'
I bought three large plants because I read about their...
KJMM
Your 2015 wish list
Okay. I'm sort of ashamed to admit that I've already...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Can someone ID this for me please!
I saw it in a Youtube video, but I couldn't make out...
earlisbubba
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™