small trailing houseplant, fragrant leaves?

rumbum(9)May 5, 2011

Hi guys,

I am looking for a fragrant houseplant for my bathroom. I looked at the FAQ but a lot of those only have fragrant blooms or get BIG. I live in an RV and have the smallest bathroom in the world! Seriously, I just measured it and it is 2'x3' with about 7' height. I'm trying to think of a nice trailer (for the trailer, haha!) to hang from the ceiling that will have scented leaves, not just the blooms. There is a skylight which will admit bright filtered light all day. Temperatures are typical house temps but the plant may get a little draft from the skylight in the winter.

My ideas so far include:

-Rosemary (nice but boring!)

-Scented geraniums which don't really trail but they stay small enough that they would be okay.

-I LOVE hoyas... maybe the H. obscura I read so much about in this forum...does it bloom frequently? So tempting!

Thanks for your ideas!

Melissa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mehitabel(z6 MO)

How about pineapple sage, Salvia elegans? This plant has red flowers beloved by hummingbirds if grown outdoors in summer. It is not hardy, so has to be indoors in winter.

This is a very fast grower, sucks up water. I don't know if your bathroom would give enough sun for the scent to develop, but it would be worth a try.

Scent is mild to my nose.

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 12:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mehitabel(z6 MO)

comment about rosemary. I have tried keeping rosemary alive in winter-- it's extremely difficult. Rosemary needs hot, hot, hot sun to really thrive (and also to develop its fragrance).

After trying it for two winters indoors, I gave up. It gets mildewed indoors in winter. Indoor light is simply not enough for it. I believe this would be especially true in a bathroom situation, where I would expect it to get mildewed even in summer.

It might avoid mildew if it were denuded of leaves and kept very dry, but this defeats your purpose.

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 1:02PM
More Discussions
fragrant whites of the summer...
Hi all blooms this season... Thanks for seeing... Radha....
radhavall
Jasminum Sambac Grand Duke supreme
I have found Jasminum Sambac Grand Duke Supreme plants...
bunti
Petunia 'Cottage Queen'
Has anyone ever sniffed this petunia? I noticed it...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
' daphne odora'. Are they hard to keep alive as many say?
If they are not for you, especially in my climate zone...
meyermike_1micha
Magnolia macclurei
Magnolia macclurei (Michelia macclurei) blooming images. Do...
jujujojo_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™