Gardenia looks pretty dead

newyorkerinsydneyMay 20, 2008

Hello everyone, this is my first autumn in Sydney, Australia. I have many plants and among them is this lovely gardenia that I bought at the beginning of summer. It bloomed several times, the foliage was beautiful. It always looked healthy. For the last three weeks or so it just made a turn for the worse. It looks dead! Leaves are COMPLETELY shriveled, brown, dry and falling off. Nothing has changed. Same spot, a little less watering since it looked like it was dying, same soil, same pot. If all my other plants were dying then I would think it might have something to do with the change of weather, but all my other plants, although not as lovely as they were in the summer, are still alive though not thriving. Natural for this time of year, no? I dont see any bugs on the gardenia, or anything that looks fishy. Does anyone have any idea whats wrong with it or is is just super sensitive to the weather change? Is it beyond help? It sure looks like it. Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

J.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snasxs(7-8 VA)

You over-watered it. The root is damaged. When the weather gets cooler, a little extra water can kill a large plant. The safest way is using a "soil humidity meter". If the soil near the root center is wet, do not water.

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 11:37AM
More Discussions
chloranthus spicatus
I gave a cutting of chloranthus spicatus to a friend...
donnagoetz
Meyermike, you still out there??
Hope you are doing good, I haven't been on the forum...
mersiepoo
Pruning Jasmium sambac
A couple of years ago, I got a cutting of a Jasminum...
true_blue
Lilac identifications
Hi all, Last year I purchased what I thought were two...
mabend
Blooming in March!
Osmanthus fragrans decided to show off a few blooms...
true_blue
Sponsored Products
Gardenia 4-Piece Bathroom Accessory Set
Signature Hardware
Gardenia Everyday Mason Jar Candle
$12.99 | zulily
Antica Farmacista Prosecco Diffuser
$69.00 | FRONTGATE
Gardenia Towel Ring
Signature Hardware
Antica Farmacista Ala Moana Diffuser
$69.00 | FRONTGATE