Two for the poly lovers

Polymerous(9b)July 2, 2012

Here are two blooms, one from Saturday evening, the other from Sunday morning (6-30 and 7-1).

OSTERIZED is registered as 50% polymerous, but for whatever reason(s) (I have my suspicions), it only produces poly blooms about 2% of the time here, at best. Yesterday saw one of these rare blooms, which I took a picture of yesterday evening. (The bloom is slightly faded, the picture was edited to amend a broken petal, and the angle is odd because it is in a raised bed.)

Despite its lack of polymerous blooms (and rebloom), I love this daylily anyway. It has lovely foliage, the blooms are always open early and well, they are a bright cheerful lemon yellow, and they are fragrant. OSTERIZED started blooming this year at the end of May, and will continue for at least a few more days.

This morning the humidity in the garden was higher than normal, and I got out there while the sky was still overcast, and I was rewarded with beautiful color on these two polymerous blooms on Richard Norris' HIP TO BE SQUARE. This daylily is described in the AHS registration as being 60% polymerous (which seems about right) and a "cream yellow pink polychrome above green throat", and that is how it usually looks here - not the gold yellow pink it appeared this morning. (Please excuse the brown foliage, and also the red flag, which I didn't even notice when I was taking the picture. The red flag is to mark an area where we need to add an extra sprinkler head to the raised bed.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organic_kitten(8)

Well I can understand being focused onthe lovely blooms, not the flag in the background.

Both are lovely. and I do love polys.
kay

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 7:03AM
Julia NY(6)

Beautiful.

Julia

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 7:50AM
caliloo(z6/7)

I really like HIP TO BE SQUARE and I also find polys to be particularly appealing. Very pretty!

Alexa

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 8:14AM
anniegolden(z7a)

HIP TO BE SQUARE is a cute name for a poly and a beautiful bloom as well.
Christine

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 9:29AM
mizellie(z7 Al)

Hip To Be Square is lovely since I too like the polys. I like the form on Osterized if not the color. Yellows are my least favorite color.. Ellie

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 12:08PM
shive(6b TN)

The poly bloom on Osterized is lovely. In general, I don't care for polys on bagels unless they are eyed cultivars. I think they look more graceful on long petaled varieties.

Debra

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 1:05PM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

I think they are both gorgeous! Just gorgeous!

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
Voles have started....again!
Have found the first vole tunnel in a while...in the...
organic_kitten
Need some serious Daylily help
We are upgrading the front of the house with new railings...
msskriss
How cold can it get!
I am experimenting here!! seeing if I can start a...
Cindy zone 6a
Thank you Sherry
Thank you, Sherry, for starting the alphabet posts....
hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
Joan Derifield or Man of Sorrows
I would love to have both of these, but I'm thinking...
ruthz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™