Meyer Lemon question.....

echobellyApril 25, 2012

I planted a Meyer lemon tree two years ago, the first year picked off the flowers so it could put its energy into the roots. Boy did it! The soil it's planted in is mostly hardpan, I literally had to use a pick axe to dig the hole. Much to my surprise, it's rewarded me with a bumper crop this year. The problem is, there are at least a hundred lemons on the small tree, many of the branches are hanging on the ground from the weight, and it doesn't seem like they'll ever ripen. They've been the size of lemons for about two months, but they'll all still green, no sign of any of them of turning yellow. When should I expect some ripe fruit? Should they be allowed to completely ripen on the tree? Next year, should I pinch some buds? This is my first fruit tree, and I'm getting impatient!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tinael01(10A)

I am in Tampa area and mine are just starting to turn yellow now. This is my first year...so don't know if that is typical.

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 2:42PM
cearbhaill

Meyer's can take nine months to a year to ripen. You can always thin the fruit if you think the limbs will break.

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 8:27PM
echobelly

A year to ripen! I can't wait that long for lemonade, summer's almost here!

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 1:05PM
katkin_gw

I learn something new every day. I didn't know that the lemons could take that long to ripen either. This is my first year with fruit on my little tree too. :o) I've been getting limes for a while now, but no lemons until now.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 7:06AM
More Discussions
What to see in North Central FL this weekend?
I will be just north of Orlando. Any special events...
irma_stpete_9b
Tomato varieties good from now to early summer?
I am in zone 10A or B—can't quite make out where...
pattybee
Where can I get Ceropegia woodii?
Hello folks, This new format will take some getting...
flowerladylorraine
I'm in NJ, my plants are in Florida..
...should I call my friend who's using my house right...
maja127
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™