wrightia religiosa bonsai kind

kandhi(z7VA)May 20, 2009

I get carried away to buy anything that says tropical/fragrant. Recently I bought this one recently in 4inch pot. Very healthy looking plant with droopy bonsai look stems/leaves with several sets of buds. The plant started blooming but I do not find the fragrance as soft as jasmines/gardenias. Though the flower is small the fragrance is strong, maybe similar to orange jasmine that I am not fond off. I am planning to give away this plant to someone who can stop by to pick it up in exchange for anything. I am going to post this on mid-atlantic gardening also to see if someone from Northern Virginaia area would love to have this plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimshy

Kandhi,

I agree that the scent is different from true jasmines, and perhaps sharper/more honey-scented, but I like it, even though I suspect it may be aggravating my hay fever! If I didn't already have a 3 foot one, I'd take it off your hands for you -- hope it finds a good home!

Jim

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 9:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
siliconmage(z5 NE)

I also have a large plant. Three blossoms will make an entire yard sickly sweet with a heavy smell. It is not unpleasant but reminds me of old perfumes my grandmother and her friends used. I can't give it away either, but it is a tough plant that took some abuse last winter. I am dreading the coming weeks, but on a plus side. It does attract alot of pollinators that get frenzied over the constant nectar it produces that help my citrus plants set fruit.

Bookmark   May 24, 2009 at 12:05PM
More Discussions
Petunia 'Cottage Queen'
Has anyone ever sniffed this petunia? I noticed it...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Chimonanthus Praecox Wintersweet in Zone 6?
The Chinese Winterswwet (Chimonanthus Praecox) is listed...
redsun9
My Gardenia is dying because of spider mites,what to do?
Gardenia dying off below pic Ok to start with this...
Marwa Mars
chloranthus spicatus
I gave a cutting of chloranthus spicatus to a friend...
donnagoetz
War on Gardenia's mealy bugs
A few months ago, we took home a beautifully flowering...
daniel_cl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™