Farmers Market Spring Planting Guide

nosyrosie(z7/8 - Atlanta)January 20, 2006

I just got my first Farmers and Consumers Market Bulletin. On one of the pages it sets forth a spring planting guide: crop, days to maturity, planting dates, etc.

The bulletin lists the following veggies that can be planted starting mid- (middle GA)to-end (North GA) of January: cabbage, carrots, Lettuce, mustard, onions (mature), garden peas, irish potatoes, radishes, spinach, turnips.

I already had lettuce and parsley outside winter-sown in plastic containers since last week; they haven't germinated yet. I plan to do peas, carrots and green onions this weekend. I assume the bulletin is for outside planting since it's directed to farmers, and they aren't going to be planting in little nursery set-ups inside -- I think. Am I wrong?

In any event I will sow as in winter-sowing so I don't have to mess with all the little peat pots indoors.

Rose

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marcy72(z7/8 Atlanta GA)

i don't know the answer to your question, but maybe you can answer one of mine :) How can I get that bulletin? I keep hearing about it, and it sounds like it has lots of good information.

Bookmark   January 21, 2006 at 10:07AM
jennifratrix

Of that list the only thing I think it might be a little early for is carrots, but maybe only by a couple weeks? Also I left some of my broccoli from last fall instead of tearing out the spent plants and they're putting out florets already, so I'm going to put out some broccoli starts this week. I'll try putting some seed down too, why not?

Bookmark   January 21, 2006 at 1:28PM
nosyrosie(z7/8 - Atlanta)

Marcy, the bulletin is free for the applying. Check the bulletin's website www.agr.georgia.gov.

It's a fun newsletter, and has some very useful information.

Rose

Bookmark   January 21, 2006 at 7:53PM
nosyrosie(z7/8 - Atlanta)

Oh, yes, also I'm going to winter sow peas and green onions tomorrow (was painting my bedroom today!). I will probably post when any of it germinates and how long it took. I will probably then do carrots next week; thanks Jennifratrix for your thoughts.

rb

Bookmark   January 21, 2006 at 7:56PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Direct sow your peas now. Ours have been flower at church for weeks.
The thought of planting mustard just in January is strange it's very frost hardy. I have it all winter.

GGG

Bookmark   January 21, 2006 at 11:02PM
Marcy72(z7/8 Atlanta GA)

thanks for the info!

and yes, at work we have mustard, kale, parsley and a few other things along that line as winter color, and it generally does really well. mine is about 2 feet tall :)

Bookmark   January 22, 2006 at 11:37PM
More Discussions
Houston triumph tulips
Hi. In georgia, what month do Houston Triumph Tulips...
tulipwedding
online peonies
Just ordered some peonies from a California nursery...
raptor1
have: lime tree - free to good home!
I have an unknown type of lime tree (not a dwarf) planted...
alison234
N. Ga. Mountain region
We've purchased a home with what appear to be 6 established...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Atlanta Seed swap
Would anyone be interested in doing an Atlanta seed...
planterjeff
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™