raspberry nightmare

lenahall(7b)February 18, 2013

i received a few thornless raspberries last year and threw them in a bed i had prepared for blueberries. they have absolutely taken over. i definitely did not stake them properly. i've read about driving t-posts and running heavy wire... my question is this. they are planted at the end of the bed, should i extend the bed to the left of the bushes, move them, or just do the t.posts, but have them come up and veer to the right?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buford(7 NE GA)

I have wild raspberries in my yard. They are very similar to climbing roses. The canes look very pliable. I would see if you can position the canes to the right. I use posts and wires for some of my roses and it works very well. And since you don't really worry about how the raspberries look, I'd do what's easiest for you.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 7:42AM
lenahall(7b)

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 5:38PM
herboil

raspberries are very invasive, and will jump hundreds of feet over the course of a few years if you let them.. I know this sounds amazing, but it's possible. ONE HUNDRED FEET in just 3 years.. I'd like to see someone try and prove this..

What makes it worse is that if you're only dealing with a few square feet, you can be sure the raspberries will have a hold, and fast.

It makes it nice, if you have a place to just throw some of them, because they do well in the strangest of places.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 12:57AM
More Discussions
Shade Garden Ideas Help
I am renting a townhouse that has a 4X4 foot square...
jerseygarden123
free partially bags of fertilizer, lime, etc.
Can't move these. I have partial bags of fertilizer,...
Tricia
have: have: composted horse manure
I have composted horse manure on my farm, looking to...
horsecompost
Landscape plant suggestions please Eatonton/Milledgeville, GA
Greetings All, My husband and I have purchased a property...
motherofdog
Is anyone using rock dust in the garden?
I learned about rock dust a few days ago and I want...
kngskid
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™