My maid of orleans is growing funny, i want it bushier

katsols(7b)May 6, 2013

This is my jasmine maid of orleans, it's awesome! it gives so many flowers at a time but i'm annoyed at the fact that it's only two straight branches.. very unnatractive, i want it bushier and rounder, how should i prune it and how much? Also i just found a root coming out from the bottom of the pot, time to repot? I'm gonna bring it out to the yard this week since our nighttime temperatures are in the 50's and days in high 60's.
I appreciate any advice =]

This post was edited by katsols on Mon, May 6, 13 at 13:26

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botaniphile(9b Tampa)

Mine looked like that when I got it. They really don't mind pruning much, so cut back however you want. I cut back to a node. The new branch will grow from the side of the node (where the leaf is). If you're nervous about it, just prune one branch and see how it grows back. Then you'll have a good idea of what to expect when pruning the other branch.

Hope this helps!

Stephanie

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 3:25PM
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)

I agree with Stephanie. I cut my sambac jasmines back to about a foot or two each year and replace the potting mix (I shake off as much of the old mix from the roots as I can) and either pot up into a larger pot or trim some roots if I'm using the same pot it was growing in and use fresh fast draining potting mix (I make my own 5:1:1 mix).

Jasminum sambac is a tough plant. Maid of Orleans was my first jasmine and I'll always have a soft spot for it.

Oh, don't forget to fertilize!
I prefer the slow release Dynamite fertilizer in the potting mix and diluted Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro every two weeks or so.

Before you know it you'll have a bushier jasmine with tons of blooms. :)

-Robert

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 3:33PM
katsols(7b)

Thank you guys =] i'll re-pot and prune this weekend.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 5:55PM
bellegallica_zone9(9)

I find it's difficult to get a really dense shrubby look with sambacs because they are somewhat vining in nature.

I agree with the others. You can prune and pot up. Trimming it back every so often will force it to make more branches from each node. Then you trim those back when they've grown out and flowered.

Another thing you can try is to root the trimmings, then add those to the pot. Putting three or four cuttings per pot will help to fill up the space and give a bushier, fuller appearance.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 5:42PM
More Discussions
Pruning Jasmium sambac
A couple of years ago, I got a cutting of a Jasminum...
true_blue
chloranthus spicatus
I gave a cutting of chloranthus spicatus to a friend...
donnagoetz
Your 2015 wish list
Okay. I'm sort of ashamed to admit that I've already...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
How can i preserve flower scent for as long as possible?
I have a couple lilies growing and the scent is AMAZING,...
jerem
Blooming in May
The thread is open :-)
true_blue
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™