Native Buttercups

razorback33(z7)February 10, 2009

While working in the garden yesterday, I noticed that my Ranunculus ficaria (Introduced species) was in full leaf form and should have flowers within a short time.

The one I have is a selection that has attractive patterned leaves and glossy yellow/orange flowers. I don't believe it ever had a cultivar name. I have it tucked in between a couple of fairly large rocks, because I've seen this species consume a large area in short order, in a SE PA garden.

In reflecting upon past plant rescues, I can't recall finding any of the 16 or so GA native or introduced Ranunculus species in this area, although there are supposed to be some around (Duncan & Kartesz). Since the various species have a wide variation in foliage types, and absent a flower, I would have ignored them, as a weed!

I have tried a couple of cultivars, R.repens 'Buttered Popcorn' & R. ficaria 'Brazen Hussy' without success. Probably in the wrong locations. The popular R. asiaticus cultivars (Persian Buttercup), with their inflated, grotesque flowers has no appeal for me.

Rb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
old_man_by_the_sea(Z8/9)

There are no species found in this area (SE GA coastal plain).
I have read that they do not grow in tropical and semitropical lowlands. I suppose it's the heat and/or humidity. that they can't tolerate or absence of a cold dormant period.
They seem to multiply with abandon in the northern climates, as does many other Genera/species in the Ranunculaceae Family (Actaea, Anemone, Hepatica, Helleborus, Aquilegia, etc.), that are not found in this area and does not establish in cultivation.
On the other hand, the transplanted native Oakleaf Hydrangea loves the perfect drainage of sand and once established, best get out of it's way!

Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 2:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

I guess I have never noticed any that I have come across and no one ever pointed them out to me. Looking at just a few of the pictures, they don't appear to have significant flowers (not like the non-native ones that we picked as kids - I remember holding it under our chins to see the yellow reflected).

Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 9:41PM
More Discussions
Georgia (Piedmont region) - new NABA chapter
To all butterfly enthusiasts in Georgia: The North...
memays
pomegranates
UGA's website said that most named pomegranates do...
esthermgr
Getting completely rid of invasive vines
Is this possible? We moved in to an extremely neglected...
suwannee75
winter veggies in straw bale garden?
I have used the straw bale gardening method in spots...
katy_bug
Howdy Folks!
Any of the old regulars still around? I have been...
vroomp
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™