Asparagus dilemma - what would y'all do?

bagsmom(7)February 26, 2010

I have some asparagus on the way in the mail. Prepping space won't be a problem -- the soil is pretty good in most places -- just have to amend it.

I am realizing that I have several options of where to put it. And I don't know FOR SURE which of those places will get the MOST sun.

I'm trying to decide if I should just bite the bullet, choose one place and go for it.

Or should I be experimental and put a few in each place, see how it does this year, and add more next year?

I'm torn between being methodical on the one hand -- and REALLY wanting some asparagus to get going on the other!

I guess I could even go out and buy some more -- and get a few decent sized beds started. If they all do well, I'll start an asparagus farm!!!!!! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Which space gets most sun? South, East, Southeast are the best areas for full sun. You should go ahead and get outside this weekend and do a sun analysis for yourself. Do you have photos of your yard from the last year or two? That would really help. Asparagus takes at least a year to produce maybe even two years - so it needs to go into it's planned space now, it's not really an experimental vegetable. I have a friend who has some in part sun, it makes a few spears a year and took him 3-4 years to establish there in a very deep, sandy bed. A guy about a mile away has a small garden and he's got a full-sun bed devoted to asparagus at one end, it seemed to produce very nicely it's 2nd year.

Bookmark   February 26, 2010 at 10:55AM
bagsmom(7)

Yeah - it's tricky to figure out at this moment, since the trees are bare. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted to do, then realized, oh phooey -- that area might NOT have as much sun, once the leaves come out.

The very best place with full sun all day is down by my mailbox. I thought about that, then remembered all the people who walk their dogs along the sidewalk.
Eeeewwww.

I think I'll go ahead and prep the area I originally thought about -- it gets South/South East exposure from about 9 to 3:30. I'm also going to try expanding an area in front of my two rectangular raised beds -- basically connecting the two beds at the bottom with a horizontal in-ground bed -- sort of making a U shape. I figure if one of the two spaces doesn't work that well, I can just put something else in it.

I wish it would warm up so I could get the area ready!!!!!

Bookmark   February 26, 2010 at 12:13PM
liliumskygazer(7)

You can never have too many asparagus plants - put them in all the places. :-)

Bookmark   February 26, 2010 at 9:45PM
vnginger

They get pretty tall. Best in the back of the beds. I need to move mine back.

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 4:40AM
More Discussions
FREE lime tree in pot (Atlanta/Buckhead)
Free to good home -- you must know how to care for...
alison234
Lake hartwell
Does anyone live on or near the lake? My husband saw...
josephene_gw
how to kill wisteria
anybody have a cheap way to get rid of wisteria or...
Shane86
pomegranates
UGA's website said that most named pomegranates do...
esthermgr
Where should I plant a fatsia japonica?
Other than, in a milder climate. I've had it in a pot...
esga
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Karnak Red Clay 8' Round
Home Depot
Anolon Tri-Ply Clad Stainless Steel 10.25 in. Nonstick French Skillet - 30828
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Anolon Advanced Hard-Anodized Nonstick 5.25 qt. Covered Braiser with Rack Multic
$69.99 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Larvik Robins Egg Blue 3' 6" x 5' 6"
Home Depot
Learning Resources New Sprouts Dinner Basket - LER9732
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Runner Rug: Larvik Flame Orange 2' 3" x 8'
Home Depot
Asparagus Salt & Pepper Shakers
$10.99 | zulily
Area Rug: Marsala Putty 5' x 8'
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for: