local source for heirloom tomatoes

esthermgrFebruary 19, 2008

Is there a good local source for heirloom tomatoes? I'm in Atlanta.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Hey:
Episcopal Church of the Holy Comforter will have them starting March 15th. So far Brandywine, Stupice (nice early), Green Zebra, Jubilee, yellow pear. Next week we are starting MANY many more. The above are not organic. Will also have organic starting April 5th. I would suspect we will have 15-20 (minimum) varieties. Proceeds to our charitable organization: The Friendship Center, which is non-profit.

GGG

Bookmark   February 19, 2008 at 3:40PM
georgia_transplant(7b)

Thanks for posting that GGG!

Couple questions: do you have an idea of prices per plant? And how is parking at the church on a Saturday? Do you expect big crowds?

Bookmark   February 19, 2008 at 6:49PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

We don't have huge crowds the first day. April's sale will be intense, but most people walk and bring wagons. Our church is in the heart of a neighborhood so people walk or ride bikes a lot. Our parking lot is teensy, but there is street parking a plenty and for those who are disabled we can make parking room, or you can easily come up from the road in a wheelchair. If anyone needs help, we're ready and willing!
I can not list prices here so I will email anyone with a price who needs it.

GGG

Bookmark   February 19, 2008 at 10:59PM
esthermgr

where is the church? Sounds like my kinda sale.

Bookmark   February 21, 2008 at 3:09PM
blazepepper(7b)

I looked it up, its in the East Atlanta area, On I-20, just east of downtown, off of moreland ave. exit. I'll see ya there. I'd also like some heirloom prices if possible. My email is bmcdonald724@aol.com. Thanks

Bookmark   February 21, 2008 at 9:29PM
blazepepper(7b)

I'm seeing more and more tomatoes already outside at the big box stores, this just blows my mind at how early it is.
Anyone else out there know any more local sources for heirlooms??

Bookmark   February 25, 2008 at 4:49PM
ktga

I'm pretty sure the Oakhurst Garden in Decatur offers heirloom tomatoes during their sale each year. Organic, too. Sale is usually at the end of march i believe?

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 10:58AM
blazepepper(7b)

Man that Oakhurst Garden sounds awesome, I can't wait to visit. Are any of the Tomatoes and Peppers at Home Depot and Lowes Heirlooms?

Bookmark   February 29, 2008 at 1:59PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Oakhurst will have tomatoes. I'm just not sure of the varieties yet. If you are interested in growing your own, sign up for the veggie seeding class in early March!!

GGG

Bookmark   February 29, 2008 at 3:01PM
ourhappyhome(7B)

My local Lowes and Home Depot carry Brandywine, Green Zebra and a bicolor, Mr. Stripey I think. I've seen them every year for the past few years.
April

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 12:50PM
blazepepper(7b)

Anyone going to the holy comforter sale this weekend? If so, will you be planting the seedlings? Still sounds a little early doesnt it? Can the holy comforter representative restate what they plan to have available.
thanks

Bookmark   March 13, 2008 at 12:30PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)
    Bookmark   March 13, 2008 at 2:39PM
blazepepper(7b)

Thanks for the list, just reading it makes me excited for th growing season. Question, the Roma's they have, are then interdeterminate or determinate? Anyone had any luck w/ these? I buy romas in the store and we love them, but sometimes the same tomato appears to be called plum.

Bookmark   March 14, 2008 at 3:40PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Romas are available April 5th! Not quite ready yet.

They are semi-determinate. Doesn't that sound confusing now!! They grow taller in the south, but not quite a crazy vine, bushier and usually to 5' or so unless you foliar feed with worm poop/micro nutrients and other stuff, then they can grow much larger. Romas are considered a type plum tomato, however Romas per se have more "insides" than some plum tomatoes do, which is what makes them perfect for cooking.
We have more tomatoes and peppers, and various types of eggplants finally coming along. I do not list anything until I see some sprouts!!

Hope you can all make it tomorrow. We'll be there (at least some of us) rain or shine.

GGG

Bookmark   March 14, 2008 at 4:30PM
blazepepper(7b)

Did the sale go on? I figured with all of the tonadic activity in that area that it would have been postponed?
If so, how was the turn out, any plans to reschedule another sale if this one was dampened by the weather?
thanks

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 7:15PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Uh, no. I called the moment the storm hit and cancelled it because after one look at my back yard, I knew there was no way I could make it. I couldn't even get out of my own yard until the city came to clean up the trees later that PM. And then asking our guys to walk or come on the bus and having to get home in potentially bad weather is not happening. Rain is ok as they have umbrellas.
If you can come during the week, we are open Tuesday and Thursday AM 10-12 for work, and we'll also be there to serve you. Next date is April 5th for a Saturday. My Saturdays are kind of full up until then getting my house and property stabilized, plus I have to begin working full-time at one of my "real jobs" to pay for the tornado damage here.

GGG

Bookmark   March 17, 2008 at 1:11PM
blazepepper(7b)

GGG, glad to hear you are ok from the storm. Sorry for all the damage you sustained

Bookmark   March 17, 2008 at 1:28PM
railroadrabbit(7b - Atlanta)

Is there another sale date?

Bookmark   April 5, 2008 at 11:53PM
blazepepper(7b)

GGG,

I'm specifically looking for a Green Zebra and a cherokee purple, just one of each. Do you think Village Hardware would have these 2 this week? thanks

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 1:53PM
More Discussions
FREE lime tree in pot (Atlanta/Buckhead)
Free to good home -- you must know how to care for...
alison234
Looking for gingko biloba tree to plant
This forum has been so slow recently. Hope a bunch...
rosiew
Where to find African Violets in Atlanta
Does anyone that uses this forum know a nursery in...
frankielynnsie
How to prune a too tall crape myrtle?
I recently bought an old house with a potentially great...
jenarnow
Is anyone using rock dust in the garden?
I learned about rock dust a few days ago and I want...
kngskid
Sponsored Products
Herman Miller | EamesĀ® Molded Plastic Armchair with Dowel-Leg Base
YLiving.com
Acadia National Park Wall Art
$24.99 | zulily
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Dhurries Blue / Ivory 7 ft. x 7
Home Depot
Hughes Leather Loveseat - Brighton Lemon Grass Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Iannone Design | Cork Mosaic Sideboard - Forest
YLiving.com