Tree gardenia

kandhi(z7VA)May 21, 2005

I bought a 4ft gardenia tree with full of fat buds(3inch) in 3gal container for $16 at Kmart. I think I got a good deal, the pot had wrong name tag as mandeville that may be the reason. I do not know what type of gardenia it is now? It has glossy 3inch leaves.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mele123(8)

I TOO PURCHASED A TREE LIKE THAT FROM LOWE'S FOR 19.99 IT IS CALLED A GARDENIA AUGUSTA OR A MIAMI SUPREME GARDENIA.
IT STATES THAT IT WILL BLOOM ABUDANTLY PRODUCING LARGE DOUBLE FLOWERS WINTER THROUGH SPRING, AND OCCASSIONALLY THROUGHOUT THE REST OF THE TEAR. IT WITHSTANDS TEMPS. DOWN TO 20 DEGREES AND PREFERS RICH, ORGANIC SOILS ON THE ACIDIC SIDE. FERTILIZE EVERY 3-4 WEEKS FOR ACID-LOVING PLANTS. WILL BLOOM INDOORS IN HIGH LIGHT. OUTSIDE IT PREFERS A SUNNY LOCATION AWAY FROOM DIRECT AFTERNOON SUN. MINE SMELLS LOVELY ON MY DECK NXT TO MY DOOR AND THE BOOLMS ARE SPCTACULAR.....
MICHELLE IN SAN ANTONIO, TX.

Bookmark   May 23, 2005 at 10:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
longriver(SF Bay Area)

I saw a huge tree plant of gardenia family which was over 12 feet tall in Nuccio's nurseries at Altadena,Ca. Most people would not recognize the plant to be part of Gardenis family.The plant origin is from South Africa.

I also saw a gardenia tree in Taiwan. It produced thousands of small single flowers and the typical gardenia fragrance was overflowing from brick fence yard to the street.This small gardenia tree must be hundreds of year old. It measured about 7 to 8 inches in diameter, 10 to 12 feet tall. I am afrid that the tree might be already lost to yield ground for high rise construction.

Bookmark   June 4, 2005 at 1:31AM
More Discussions
Ixora odorata
Hello, does anyone have this on the mainland U.S.A.?...
donnagoetz
Blooming in January!
Happy New Year everyone! Narcissus tazetta - Chinese...
true_blue
Hamamelis mollis
I have a new spot under a huge cedar that has been...
Maggie (Vancouver, BC 8a)
Help badly timed pruning.
Help! The Neighbour has SEVERLY 'pruned' a jasmine...
logo
My Gardenia is dying because of spider mites,what to do?
Gardenia dying off below pic Ok to start with this...
Marwa Mars
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™